AutoShrine Sponsor

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
Is this Tony M. who used to live in Middletown, VA? I have him listed as having a 1934 Super Sports.
Duncan Charlton

In reply to # 11204 by ascari 1936 Three wheeler
1957 Plus Four (+4)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chris Convertible Chris Wells
Canbrtts, ACT, Australia   AUS
Hi,

My name is Chris, born in the UK but moved to Australia at 14 months of age.Since getting my licence on my 17th Birthday I have owned a range of cars starting with a 1968 Mini with a Honda S600, Mazda MX5 and a my current car a Nissan Silvia Convertible being my three convertibles that cover about 90% of my driving life.I have posted pictures of my garage in the MG Experience Off Topic garage post and you can see the Silvia in there.

You can probably guess from my username I like convertibles and consider anything with a roof to just be transport rather than a car to enjoy.

I joined up as i love Morgans, MG's and Jaguars and by joining i could see the attached photos to the many posts. However I would also like to own one of those cars at some stage soon - just need to decide which one.

I am thinking of purchasing a Morgan book or two and wondered if anyone owned these books and would recommend which to buy.

Making a Morgan by Andreas Hensing
Morgan - 100 Years by Charles Morgan
Morgan : First and Last of the Real Sports Cars by Brian Laban

Thanks
Chris

ascari T M
Axton, VA, USA   USA
Chris,
I like Brian Laban's books since it's a bit quirky and very personal. Like a Morgan in a way.

By the way, why do you say you have to "decide which one" to purchase? Jags, MGs and Morgans are "my" marques as well and I presently own two of each. With all old British cars you should get more than one so you have one to drive when the other one is in the shop. :-)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
Chris,
There are a few other good all-around info books about Morgans (I'm leaving out the ones that focus mostly on the 3-wheelers). Original Morgan; 4/4, Plus 4 and Plus 8 by John Worrall and Liz Turner. It's got a few errors in it but it has good photos. Completely Morgan; Four-wheelers 1936 to 1968 by Ken Hill. Lots of information about production, parts, specs, etc. The Four-Wheeled Morgan; Volume 2" The Cowled-Radiator Models by Ken Hill. One more, with a bit about all Morgan models and excellent photography, Morgan by Rowan Isaac (Osprey Classic Marques).
Duncan

Hi,

Duncan - thanks for more book ideas, time to read more reviews.

Ascari - I do like the sound of the Brian Laban book but unfortunately it seems the hardest to find for sale of them all, but I can keep looking. I assume you have a nice big garage with at least 6 British cars, unfortunately my garage is only for 2 cars and no room on my house to put in another garage. I currently own a Silvia Convertible so have a convertible to drive, however i have promised it to my son when he turn 25 and can afford to insure it, I spent months trying to find it on the internet and finally bought it on his first day of school (Kindergarten) and he has been in it virtually everyday during his whole time at school. My initial plans was to start building a Suffolk Jaguar SS100 over a few years with my son as I love the hug chrome head lights and grille, but I also like Morgans and MGB's. I do like your idea of buying one or two of each, just not enough room - or money either.

The exchange rates and duties really make the comparative price of cars here a lot different to elsewhere. For example from what I can tell in the UK a new Morgan plus 4 is a lot cheaper than a Suffolk SS100 build project but here due to the taxes on the complete car compared to buying the bits and bringing it under the high tax thresholds both would work out about the same. The Frontline Abingdon edition MGB is really a very modernised MG and extremely expensive at over double a Morgan Plus 4, but their Australian Agent is building cars to a similar spec using existing old cars that he reinforces rather than a new heritage shell for just over half a Morgan Plus 4. They also do a very nice stock restoration at reasonable prices.

So the cheapest is the MGB by a long way but there is something really special about Morgans, you hardly see them on the road and I have only ever seen one SS100 replica in a car rally once.

Thanks
Chris

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
Chris, I suggest you request to join two online discussion groups, both of which include members from down under. Look for the Google group "MOG-group." I probably need to put your name forward for the other one since it's a private group, so let me know if you'd like me to submit your name. You can send me your preferred email address via private message through this message board.

Duncan

ascari T M
Axton, VA, USA   USA
Chris,
Since you already have the Silvia convertible, why don't you go for an MGB GT? Very usable and practical classic car, inexpensive and easy to find parts/work on. Handsome too, I think of mine as a miniature Aston! :-)

The "Original Morgan" book that Duncan recommended is very good, even though ironically some of the pictures are of non-original, modified cars! :-)

Hi,

Duncan - thanks for the MOG group link. I found it and just read your article on areodynamics.

I will keep a lookout for the "Original Morgan" book.

ascari - Yes the GT is nice - I have watched a few YouTube videos of the Frontline LE-50 which while not original is a pretty amazing machine. I started looking at other convertible cars because my Silvia convertible hit a Kangaroo and the insurance company said it was to be written off, however the panel beater convinced them the car was very rare and worth saving and i should be picking it up next week (ready for summer in Australia) as he has managed to find all the parts, bonnet front guards radiator, lights etc. from a hard top Silvia. My son is over the moon as he loves that car.

Thanks
Chris

Morganaddict Ronald Blair
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
Hi there, I am a new old member having had a 70, 89, 92 and 95 Plus *. Now I have just purchased an amazing 73 Plus 8. Glad to be back! Ron Blair

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
@Ascari, I'm curious if I've got you on my list of vintage Morgan 3-wheeler owners. The only 1936 SS I know of is John Sheally's in Suffolk and the only other 1936 Morgan I know of is Dave Anderson's F2 in Alexandria. Would you please reply to me off-group at duncan.charlton54@gmail.com? My list is now up over 200 cars in US, Canada and Mexico and still rising.

Broadcaster Bob RA
Glendale, California, USA   USA
Hello All
I am Bob. I am an implant from Worcestershire (England) to California
I am currently looking for a hard top for a plus four.
I have been searching a long time...If I don't find one I intend to build one from fiberglass
If you can help please do so :-)

38 DHC Mark Braunstein
Vicinity of Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Moss MOG"
1938 Morgan 4-4 "Uncle Georges Winter Carriage"
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1981 Morgan 4/4    & more
Hi,
Mark B here, longtime Morgan owner. I find I know several of the folks on this forum. I am located just north east of Orlando in Florida.

Cheers,
Mark

Broadcaster Bob RA
Glendale, California, USA   USA
Good to meet you Mark

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
Hi Mark. I hope you're ready for Hurricane Irma, should it come your way. We managed to dodge the worst effects of Harvey but Kim F. still has about 20" of water in his garage. He put the Morgans on jack stands and twice had to go back out there and put several layers of boards under the stands to raise them further. Thankfully the water never got above the bottom of the wheels but here we are 12 days post-landfall and the floodwaters only began receding yesterday while it started to rain again.

Duncan
(Texas)

chek Bernie Lafaut
Kimberley, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
1971 4/4, Kent 1600 GT; you're right, mine didn't come with power steering and power brakes neither. And I still haven't found the radio. Sat under a tarp in the outdoors for 30+ years, completely neglected. Bit of a disaster, engine dusted, (but remarkably, not seized) Engine now redone, with new pistons and cam and many other items that are boring to talk about. Frame ready to go back together, installed tubulars at back, fabricated my own support for same, following the design of kits I've seen listed. Installed Torrington thrust bearings and races at top of front springs, fabricated my own capture cages for same, that may possibly be opposite to what everyone else is doing, all kits seem to be for bottom of coils. Installed spindles made from chrome rod (as used in hyd. cylinders). On and on.
Just received a new tub from factory, gave up on replacing the rotted tub cage, just too far gone and impossible to make panels line up consistenly, all kinds of gaps I do not want. So the wood pieces the factory so gladly sold me are going to become ornaments of some sort. Possibly lamps. If I can fit them properly to the bulbs.
My question: Should I paint the new tub frame with a preservative, and if so, what?
Thanks for letting me join the site.
Chek

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links