Morgan +4 Forum

timing

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

timing
stonerwn dan s
san diego, ca., USA   USA
does anyone know "timing before top dead center" for 1967 Morgan plus 4 - not sure what engine manufacturer since information out there cites Triumph, Ford, or even Rover

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveLandry Avatar
SteveLandry Steve Landry
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
What engine is in it?

Steve

stonerwn dan s
san diego, ca., USA   USA
Steve, Thanks for the reply. I just saw the car for the first time one other day and I am not sure. I thought it would be easy to establish the engine with the model year of 1967 alone. However the Internet gives two or three engines that are possibilities. Triumph, Ford Contina, Ford Kent, and Rover all seem to be possibilities. Maybe another Forum member could respond.

Thanks,
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pmhowe Philip Howe
Linville, North Carolina, USA   USA
Hi Dan,

I don't think anyone can help until you provide more data. Once you know what engine is in the car, people can start supplying timing data. I'm hoping this car will soon be (or is) yours, so expect to hear more about it and see pictures.

Good luck.

Phil

GoMoG Lorne Goldman
Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada   CAN
1984 Morgan Plus 8 (+8) "The Phoenix"
1990 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
In reply to # 112 by pmhowe Hi Dan,

I don't think anyone can help until you provide more data. Once you know what engine is in the car, people can start supplying timing data. I'm hoping this car will soon be (or is) yours, so expect to hear more about it and see pictures.

Good luck.

Phil

Hi fellas,

Not too difficult to figure out. 1967 was the final year of Plus 4 production (as he had run out of suitable engines, Peter assumed the Plus 8 would replace the Plus 4) for a period of 19 years. The Plus 4 only re-appeared in 1986 with a Rover engine (driven by a L-Jetronic EFI system).

So the engine in the car must be the last of the Triumph series. A TR4 or TR4a.

As the dynamic method of setting the timing accurately (vital for any TR) can be an unsuccessful experience, all TR series engines are designed to have their timing set statically (aka with the engine off) as well. http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan37.htm#SETTING

If you want to see if you can it going in a rough and ready fashion..use 4 degrees BTDC

Lorne (aka GoMoG)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-16 06:27 AM by GoMoG.

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
I'd guess in the range of 10-14 BTDC at idle, vacuum disconnected as that generally work well in a TR4.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links