MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Gear box oil change

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gear box oil change
  This topic is about my 1961 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
rchung0 Avatar
rchung0 Ray Chung
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "AMOGGIE"
Hi, everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am glad to have found this forum and happy to participate as much as I can.

I have a 1961 Morgan Plus 4 (see photo on my car registry). I am doing a lot of the restoration myself (or attempting to). I recently noticed that my coolant was low and decided to add some, unfortunately, all that I added went into the oil pan. I immediately drain the oil and the coolant, have the car towed to a local shop. Turned out there is a British car repair shop about 3 miles from my house. They found that an oil plug inside the engine has completely disintegrated and therefore connecting the cooling system to the engine. They ordered a new plug from Morgan Spares but the plug that came has flat surfaces on both sides and will not hold any screw driver or wrench. They have to machine the plug to create a slot to allow a flat screw driver to drive it in. Cost me $700 for this repair. I am now changing the rear axle and gearbox oil. the rear axle was easy. the gearbox was also relatively easy but after draining it, it is kind of difficult to fill the gearbox from the dipstick hole inside the car. And it is very difficult to know how much SAE 90 to put back into the gearbox. Does anyone know the exact volume of oil I should put back into the gear box (1961 Morgan plus 4)? Is it going to be a big problem if I overfill it?

Thanks

Ray

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fred Winterburn Avatar
Ripley, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Ray, You should be using 30 weight (not multigrade) inside the Moss gearbox. Or, you can use one of the manual transmission lubes made by various manufacturers. I use the amsoil mtl in my 56 Plus4 and it works a little better as far as shifting goes than does 30 weight oil. Fred

In reply to # 11118 by rchung0 Hi, everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am glad to have found this forum and happy to participate as much as I can.

I have a 1961 Morgan Plus 4 (see photo on my car registry). I am doing a lot of the restoration myself (or attempting to). I recently noticed that my coolant was low and decided to add some, unfortunately, all that I added went into the oil pan. I immediately drain the oil and the coolant, have the car towed to a local shop. Turned out there is a British car repair shop about 3 miles from my house. They found that an oil plug inside the engine has completely disintegrated and therefore connecting the cooling system to the engine. They ordered a new plug from Morgan Spares but the plug that came has flat surfaces on both sides and will not hold any screw driver or wrench. They have to machine the plug to create a slot to allow a flat screw driver to drive it in. Cost me $700 for this repair. I am now changing the rear axle and gearbox oil. the rear axle was easy. the gearbox was also relatively easy but after draining it, it is kind of difficult to fill the gearbox from the dipstick hole inside the car. And it is very difficult to know how much SAE 90 to put back into the gearbox. Does anyone know the exact volume of oil I should put back into the gear box (1961 Morgan plus 4)? Is it going to be a big problem if I overfill it?

Thanks

Ray

rchung0 Avatar
rchung0 Ray Chung
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "AMOGGIE"
Thank you, Fred.

I got my answer!!!. 1.5 quart or 3 pints.

I am going to go and get myself some AMSoil MTL today.

Thank you very much.

Ray

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links