Morgan +4 Forum

seats on 64 morgan plus 4

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

65MGBRED Bob Ferrer
Milford, virginia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
i recently purchased a 64 morgan...the seats have the wooden stand and a leather pad on top and a full back bench.

what options do i have? thought about replacing the wooden stand with a hefty thicker seat cushion and getting back reupholstered. also considered the idea of buying bucket seats but wasn't sure how those would mount. any experience in making the wood platform a thing of the past and achieving a more comfortable seat?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
Bob, I made some sprung seat platforms using 1/2" copper water tubing and a bunch of springs. I also rewarded the seat angle adjustment brackets to allow the seat back to rake further back, which meant that I now had some lower back support. I had begun to make a seat back with various densities of foam rubber but sold the car before I got as far as upholstering it. See photo of the seat frame. You don't have to use the hobby horse springs across the middle -- flat metal straps would probably work just fine. These were more comfortable than the sprung seats in our Plus 4 four-seater, which had no side springs until I added them.

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX

Attachments:
seat frame 2.jpg    69.2 KB
seat frame 2.jpg

seat 1.jpg    77.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
seat frame 3.jpg    85.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
I forgot to mention that I assembled this completely before soldering, using soldering paste at all the joints and then touching the flame to each joint until it flashed silver. It would have been very difficult to assemble using regular solder, doing one joint at a time.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ecummins Avatar
ecummins Eric Cummins
Sautee Nacoochee, USA   USA
Bob,
Originaly the bottom seat cusion had an air bladder in it. You can get replacement air bladders from Melvyn Rutter in GB. The seats were quite comfortable with the air bladders in my 59 Plus 4

Cheers,
Eric

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
The previous owners of a 1963 4/4 we once owned had installed a second cushion (with about the same dimensions as the original) filled with coil springs and a bit of padding. It was meant to sit under the original cushion. It felt like I was sitting on a large inflated ball, and that's what prompted me to build the copper tube frame.

Dadmog Jeff Smith
Plano, Texas, USA   USA
+1 on the spring frames. With the aid of Bob Noguiera, I made some similar frames using bent steel tubing and my kids' old crib springs. Made a huge difference in ride quality, especially coupled with inflatable bladders in the cushions courtesy of REI Campfitters.

bigbaz Avatar
bigbaz Barry H
Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK   GBR
I replaced the air bladders (which constantly deflated) with upholsterer's foam rubber and I find the seats extremely comfortable.
The only down-side to this set-up is the lack of adjustability.

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
Another thing I'd forgotten to mention -- the front supports for the copper tubing frame were adjustable up and down by pulling a bolt and telescoping the "foot" downward or upward.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2011 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links