MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Question about instrument panel

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jrichter2 Rick P
Chesapeake City, Maryland, USA   USA
I have always admired Morgans and am now considering a purchase. I have noticed on every photo of every instrument panel, there seem to be two small "sockets", one red and one black. It's probably a stupid question , but what are they for?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Abzandy Andrew Reeves
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK   GBR
They are a power outlet for an inspection or map reading light. You need a little plug to fit.

Andy

jrichter2 Rick P
Chesapeake City, Maryland, USA   USA
Thank you !

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kanucka Larry D
MISSION VIEJO, California, USA   USA
Also they were not the smartest idea to stand the test of time as the red plug isolation material can deteriorate and you end up with a an intermittent or some cases a short from the +12V to ground. The gauge panel was metal and grounded via the gauge casing. What I have done and subsequently others, is to remove the red and black plugs, remove the wires from them and insulate the wires, then drill them to fit an led (light emitting diode, red for red plug, green for black plug, and a 1k resistor unless you get leds with the resistor already installed ) and then use the leds for whatever you want.

In my 66 +4, I use the red led to indicate auxiliary radiator fan is on and the green is used to indicate my driving light is on. On another car I use the red led to indicate brake fluid level low as I use a modified master brake cylinder in a tandem braking configuration.

Regards, Larry

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
There are any number of items you can use this for, including a resistance heat windshield defogger that attaches to the windshield with suction cups. A Lucas CAB185 plug probably came with each car but I've only ever seen one or two of them. You can see one here:
http://www.triple-c.com/Products/LUCAS_STYLE_EARLY_PLUG/CAB185

Broadcaster Bob RA
Glendale, California, USA   USA
First of all about shorting

If you put a line fuse in the +ve side that eliminates the possibility of shorting

Secondly

The similar items used in electronic testing the picture shows a set that can be bought on the Ebay at no more than $2
Photo attached They are known in the trade as banana jacks and plugs...don't ask me why they call them that as I don't know. This may not appeal to the purist who want the real McCoy :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-09 07:36 AM by Broadcaster.

Attachments:
banana sockets.jpg    26.9 KB
banana sockets.jpg

mhmalone Morgan Malone
Swansea, MA, USA   USA
I used to have one of those resistance heaters. I wonder what ever happened to it.

Broadcaster Bob RA
I would like to know how to get my hands on one:-)
nothing like it on the market unless you guys prove me wrong

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
I have a pair of them that came with my Plus 8 when it was new in 1971 but the suction cups are shot and the cords are probably equally bad. I've never tried them and doubt they are very effective.

Broadcaster Bob RA
I can replace the cable and the banana sockets and the suction pads are not difficult ..Office depot has them . Even if it is not functional aesthetically it is good to have on a car don't you think?

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
I've never tried them so I don't know how practical they are. The only time the inside of the car has fogged up on me was when driving in the rain with full weather gear and I drove through a fairly deep puddle. The water splashed up on the headers and the interior of the windshield and side curtains immediately fogged up -- but given how non-airtight the car is, it cleared fairly quickly. Now that I think of it, I can't remember how I would plug them in -- a 1971 Plus 8 does not have the sockets.

Duncan

Broadcaster Bob RA
Number of ways of plugging in to cigarette lighter socket

For the purist

I would use a small neatly made cigarette lighter plug to two of those sockets I showed a picture earlier and will plug in to the cig lighter socket. If you are only going to display for show do not connect the +ve line when making up the cable but make it as though it is connected. This will avoid any possible shorts if the device is faulty

For the non purist

Cut the old banana plug on the heater and solder a direct cigarette lighter plug to the end of the heater device. Same advice here too leave the +ve unconnected if there are issues with the defogger.

These units used to be 10 for a penny and I never bought one today you cannot find one for the love of the money and as we say in England they are as rare as "rocking horse droppings":-)

Disclaimer
Any advice given on these pages are for educational purposes only :-)

Jondik Jonathan Kinghorn
Lexington, Massachusetts, USA   USA
The sockets could also be used to charge the battery. Period Lucas lamps like the one in the attached photo can be found on eBay.

Attachments:
images.jpg    5.9 KB
images.jpg

Broadcaster Bob RA
Got to be careful when recharging the battery. If the condition of the battery is OK it can be used to trickle charge the battery, but if battery is too low and requires high current to charge up it may overload the wires behind the connector and in an extreme case may cause fire because of the heat generated. Do not use these connectors to start up the car.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links