MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Alternate wire wheels

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ascari T M
Axton, VA, USA   USA
The wire wheels on my -57 Plus Four are scruffy and due for a re-lace. I happen to have a very nice set of MGB 14 inch wire wheels that I was thinking of using as stand-ins. I'm assuming it's not a straight swap.

Has anybody done this and if so what issues can I expect to run into?

Not afraid to do some wrenching and fabrication but it's imperative to me that all adaptations are fully reversible.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
A friend did this on his 1961 Morgan Plus 4. The splines are close but not identical. AC Cobra used the same splines but different offset. I had a set of these on my 1957 Plus 4 four-seater special and the wheels were offset about 1-1/2" farther outboard. You might check with Bill Blodgett in Charlottesville to see if he still has a set of wire wheels for sale. His contact information is on the home page for the MCCDC: http://www.morgandc.com

ascari T M
Axton, VA, USA   USA
Thanks Duncan,
I'll do that. If in the end I decide to go the more "experimental" route I'll post my results for the benefit and/or amusement of other Morganists.

I was secretly hoping that all British cars used some standard like Rudge, but it's never that way is it?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Broadcaster Bob RA
Glendale, California, USA   USA
If you go from 15 to 14 please remember that the speedometer readings will be different and may need re-calibration

perry911113 Avatar
perry911113 Peter Perry
Rensselaer, NY, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Barn Find SOLD"
1958 MG MGA 1500
1959 MG MGA "MGA Rally Car"
1970 MG MGB GT "SOLD"    & more
In reply to # 11280 by ascari The wire wheels on my -57 Plus Four are scruffy and due for a re-lace. I happen to have a very nice set of MGB 14 inch wire wheels that I was thinking of using as stand-ins. I'm assuming it's not a straight swap.

Has anybody done this and if so what issues can I expect to run into?

Not afraid to do some wrenching and fabrication but it's imperative to me that all adaptations are fully reversible.

If you decide to investigate new wire wheel replacements feel free to reach out to us at Morgan Motors of New England.
We can give you realistic options.
There is nothing better than a straight set of wire wheels.
Regards.
Peter
Morgan Motors of New England
518-329-3877
morganspares@taconic.net

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Morgan Plus 8 8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links