MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Shackle question

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ascari T M
Axton, VA, USA   USA
While pressing out various bushings on my -57 Plus Four one of my rear spring shackles cracked. After 60 years of faithful service the cast iron gave up and I can't blame it, but now I need another one.

I've seen them for sale in various places for about $100 plus shipping, which my inner cheap skate believes is excessive for a darn shackle. So I'm wondering:

Is there a less expensive direct non-Morgan replacement? Or is this a unique Morgan-part?

If it's a unique Morgan part, does anyone have a used one to sell?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ascari T M
Axton, VA, USA   USA
After giving it some thought I realized I was lucky that the spring link cracked in the shop and not in the back road "twisties". I decided to follow that train of thought to it's logical conclusion and do away with 60 year old cast iron completely in favor of units fabricated from proper steel. The pictures are of the links that are going back on my Plus 4. They were milled and TIG welded from high quality steel and subsequently powder coated. Total material cost maybe twenty bucks or so and should be both safer and lighter than stock. Better safe than purist? I think so.

Attachments:
P1040121.JPG    22.7 KB
P1040121.JPG

P1040120.JPG    25.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fred Winterburn Avatar
Ripley, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Ascari, I think today I will get the flashlight out and see what mine look like on my 56 model. It had done well over 100,000 miles before I got it. I like your solution. Fred

In reply to # 11343 by ascari After giving it some thought I realized I was lucky that the spring link cracked in the shop and not in the back road "twisties". I decided to follow that train of thought to it's logical conclusion and do away with 60 year old cast iron completely in favor of units fabricated from proper steel. The pictures are of the links that are going back on my Plus 4. They were milled and TIG welded from high quality steel and subsequently powder coated. Total material cost maybe twenty bucks or so and should be both safer and lighter than stock. Better safe than purist? I think so.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
morganfabdemorest Don Simpkins
DEMOREST, Georgia, USA   USA
I have plenty of used ones. $36.00 incl Priority Mail
Don Simpkins P.O.Box 605 Demorest, Ga 30535

ascari T M
Axton, VA, USA   USA
Thanks Don,
Very good to know! I'm going to try out my fabricated steel units first and see how that works. If for some reason it doesn't work as I had hoped I'll hit you up for a couple, the price is certainly right.
Thanks for responding,
A.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1984 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links