Morgan +4 Forum

Radiator for TR powered '53 Flat Radiator car

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jerry O. Avatar
Jerry O. Jerry Oliver
San Miguel, California, USA   USA
My '53 Flat radiator has a non-pressurized cooling system for the TR3 engine. I'd like to update to a pressurized system. Is there a radiator that will fit or one that can be modified to fit? Fortunately, I live near Brassworks, which makes all kind of custom radiators. I had them make one for my 1912 Model T (now sold off) a number of years ago. But, perhaps someone has had experience with a radiator swap for a TR engine in a flat radiator car.I am just getting tired of explaining to people that it's not a leak but water expansion in a non-pressurized system.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-01 11:44 AM by Jerry O..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
perry911113 Avatar
perry911113 Peter Perry
Rensselaer, NY, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Barn Find SOLD"
1958 MG MGA 1500
1959 MG MGA "MGA Rally Car"
1970 MG MGB GT "SOLD"    & more
You could run an earlier style cowled aluminum for your Morgan. There would be some fabrication but it is possible.
I have these radiators in stock.
Let us know if we can help.
Peter
Morgan Motors of New England
518-329-3877
morganspares@taconic.net

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
Jerry,

Can you redirect the overflow hose to a recovery tank? That would seem to be the path of least resistance. The 1953 Plus 4 we used to own had a brass tank that looked the part. I was told it was from an MG and it may have been modified to function this way. Attach a hose from the top of the radiator to the bottom of the recovery tank and use a 4 psi 2-way radiator cap to the recovery tank and be sure the radiator's cap seals completely.

Duncan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 6.29.55 AM.jpg    37.6 KB
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 6.29.55 AM.jpg

54morgan Gary A
Perth, WA, Australia   AUS
I wonder if the new(ish) pure glycol coolants (Evans) would work. They say they don't raise pressure.
I also found an old Mini (pre BMW) metal overflow tank looks the part.

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
Good point about the Evans coolant. The fact that it won't boil means it can carry away heat from portions of the head where localized boiling normally would occur in an unpressurized system.

BuyBritish Rob D
Ipswich, Suffolk, UK   GBR
running a stronger glycol mix may help also as this will raise your boiling point 50/50 or stronger, if you leak evans waterless coolant when on the road you are stuck cause you cant just add readily available water!

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
Good point about what you're dealing with if your Evans coolant leaks out.

Just keep in mind that as you increase the percentage of glycol in the mix the ability of the liquid to transfer heat goes down. You may raise the boiling point of the coolant but the engine will run hotter unless it has excess heat capacity. Moving to a pressurized system raises the boiling point, reducing localized boiling at hot spots in the cylinder head (vapor can't carry heat away as well as liquid).

This does a decent job of explaining it: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/glycol-or-water-coolant/

One other factor -- some people remove the thermostat to try to get the engine to run cooler in hot weather. The thermostat (or a restrictor plate replacing it) causes slightly higher local water pressure in the cylinder head, raising the boiling point of the coolant.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links