MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Replacing Starter Motor and Dynamo

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Abzandy Andrew Reeves
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK   GBR
I have decided to replace the Starter Motor and Dynamo on my 1955 TR engined +4 with a High Torque Starter and Alternator. I went to a well known supplier in the UK for TR parts and bought a motor and alternator apparently suited to my particular Engine number. The starter motor supplied does not fit. I have checked dimensions and its close enough to be a simple tolerance issue however can anybody provide details (make/model) of a high torque motor that they have successfully installed. The motor that came off the car is a Lucas M418G which matches the info I have found for original fitment on a Morgan TR engined +4. Does anybody know if the same was fitted to an actual Triumph TR2 - 4? It would be strange for a Morgan TR engine to have a different mount to a triumph TR engine.

On the alternator I have asked the suppliers advice on the bits I needed for the conversion. I bought alternator, wiring lead, pulley, and mounting kit. After ordering I figured out that I probably needed to do a wide to narrow fanbelt conversion so I also ordered the kit for that. Has anybody done this conversion and can offer advice? One thing is the alternator came without a fan on the front. Looking back it seems to be an extra which my "expert" supplier failed to mention I needed. Is it needed? All alternators I see seem to have one. Any advice on how I would go about getting existing Water pump and crank pulleys off the car?

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BuyBritish Rob D
Ipswich, Suffolk, UK   GBR
Hi we have a TR4 powered 1958 car and we have fitted librands super sports exhaust, we have a high torque starter motor and is just fits behind the pipes

do you want more info

Im interested in how our bonnet fits the catches on the front just behind radiator do you have any photos

Rob & Ali Davies

BuyBritish Rob D
Here is a photo of how our high torque starter is fitted

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
sports exhaust high torque starter.jpg    48.5 KB
sports exhaust high torque starter.jpg

BuyBritish Rob D
Our car and the headlights are very close to cowl

Attachments:
plus 4.jpg    47.7 KB
plus 4.jpg

54morgan Gary A
Perth, WA, Australia   AUS
For my 1954 +4, TR2, standard manifold and exhaust, I have installed a Powerlite RAC103 starter motor from AES (Auto Electric Supplies). Perfect fit and the best mod I have made to the car. If I remember correctly there are two pinion nose lengths and it is important to get the right one.

Abzandy Andrew Reeves
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK   GBR
Thanks folks for your input.
Turns out I have the wrong starter motor. Its the correct motor for my engine number but it turns out I do not have the expected ring gear on my flywheel. I will need to try again. I suppose I should have predicted this as I know its not the original engine but its probably the original flywheel.

Andy

perry911113 Avatar
perry911113 Peter Perry
Rensselaer, NY, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Barn Find SOLD"
1958 MG MGA 1500
1959 MG MGA "MGA Rally Car"
1970 MG MGB GT "SOLD"    & more
Hi there.

You can always shoot us an email along with pictures with any technical issues and parts concerns.

Our email is:
morganspares@taconic.net

Regards

Peter

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1953 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links