MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Plus 4 5 speed conversion

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Plus 4 5 speed conversion
  This topic is about my 1961 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
61highline Tim Remesal
Santa Rosa, California, USA   USA
1961 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "61Highline"
I'd like to convert my +4 to a 5 speed all syncro . I'm down to the frame . Any thoughts ? Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sremark Steve K
Clifton Park, NY, USA   USA
I have done 2 of them ( one Morgan and one MGA) and it is absolutely worth the money. If you are down to the frame it is a very easy install.
It greatly improves the driving experience. I assume you are getting the Morgan Spares kit.
Steve

61highline Tim Remesal
Has anyone used a TR6 J type transmission on a Morgan restoration ? Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sremark Steve K
Clifton Park, NY, USA   USA
Where would you get a bell housing to mate the engine to the train and would you have to convert from manual to hydraulic clutch ??
Steve

wfs5101 Bill Sirine
Valrico, Florida, USA   USA
1957 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "Speechless"
Hi Tim, I would echo Steve's suggestion. Go to Morgan spares in NY and buy the 5 speed conversion kit which includes the tranny , drive shaft . cluch assembly , master & slave cylinders ,bell housing , brake & cluch peddle assembly , etc. Fairly expensive , but it tranforms your Morgan into a totally new driver. Bill S.

61highline Tim Remesal
Thanks , I just chatted with Peter , Bought enough to start my project . I'll be going with their 5 speed . I've got the original engine . I'm using their 89 mm pistons and cylinders and webers,and 4 exhaust manifold . Is there a better Italian carburetter ? Delorto (sp?)
Is there a reference for body measurements ? ie: rear wheel well to rear wheel well, scuttle dimensions , body to frame over hang , exact rear body width ?
Tim

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
Tim -- for measurements you might check with some of the most thorough online resources: gomog.com, http://www.team.net/morgan/ and https://sites.google.com/site/morganatica/ .

There is another way to get full synchro, as long as you don't also need the extra gear. JB Engineering in the UK (Billy Bellinger) rebuilds Moss gearboxes with a synchro first gear. Pricey, though.http://www.jb-engineering.co.uk/Pages/gearbox_new.html

Duncan
(Texas)

Button Bill B
Seattle, Washington, USA   USA
I installed a Jaguar OD into My '63 +4-4Str about 15 years ago. Works a treat. But back then OD's were available and at a fair price. Not so anymore. I notice that lately I do not use My OD much. Only on the Interstate, which I avoid like the plague. The +4 Moss box has a
third gear that is a 1.20 ratio. I use it a lot. I am on the steep back roads more and more. I like the power. My engine is balanced, I am old and about deaf. Morgan Spares has a Ford 5 speed conversion. I watched Robert Couch develop it. It is well engineered and about the best for the $ I know of. So My advice is don't do it (I love the Moss Box) or if You insist buy a unit from Morgan Spares.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1992 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links