MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Frozen brake adjuster

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Frozen brake adjuster
  This topic is about my 1966 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
pmhowe Philip Howe
Linville, North Carolina, USA   USA
The brake adjuster on the right rear brake of my '66 Plus 4 is frozen. Copious application of WD40 has not helped. I can't budge it with a 6" long 1/4" wrench, and do not want to break the adjuster by applying too much force. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Plus8dave Dave Berridge
Newport, Shropshire, UK   GBR
I Have you tried heating the adjuster up with a blow lamp while it has WD40 or equivalent soaked into it, when free lube with copper grease, I found this worked for me.
Regards
Dave

LucasHooter David Hannah
Granville, Ohio, USA   USA
Hi Philip. In addition to these other good suggestions, I can recommend a penetrant known as "Kroil Oil" (the proper name is Kano Aerokroil; see www.kanolabs.com). It's the best penetrating fluid I've ever found and is well know in the U.S. trade. You can find it from a number of online sources. As an alternative, some "YouTubers" swear by a mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid (I haven't tried this yet). Is your '66 a high or low body?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
61highline Tim Remesal
Santa Rosa, California, USA   USA
1961 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "61Highline"
I've used Dave's method WD40 and heat , slowly and patiantly . Tap with ball pin gently .

pmhowe Philip Howe
Thanks to each of you for your responses. I'm still in the WD40 application mode. Will try heat early next week if necessary. My car is a drophead coupe.

mhmalone Morgan Malone
Swansea, MA, USA   USA
Instead of spraying penetrating fluid on it, try soaking it.

pmhowe Philip Howe
So, after soaking the thing for several days, I got impatient: I put a wrench on it and broke the top off. Now, it is time to replace the adjuster. I have ordered the part, and will tell you how much fun it is to replace the broken one.

Happy Morgan traveling!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1933 Morgan Runabout

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links