MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Engine replacement

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Broadcaster Bob RA
Glendale, California, USA   USA
Simple my friend so many people dealing with Miata engines almost any corner garage can repair the engine and for someone who is not mechanically minded hasn't got to rely on a handful of people who wish to become millionaires out of folks who love the look of the car but can not and would not fork out to pay some of the prices that the experts are asking for. Additionally the Miata comes DOHC with complete alternator air conditioning six speed gear box in less than $2K ...If that is not incentive enough I don't know what is. I hope Peter I have genuinely answered your question :-)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
perry911113 Avatar
perry911113 Peter Perry
Rensselaer, NY, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Barn Find SOLD"
1958 MG MGA 1500
1959 MG MGA "MGA Rally Car"
1970 MG MGB GT "SOLD"    & more
In reply to # 11695 by Broadcaster Simple my friend so many people dealing with Miata engines almost any corner garage can repair the engine and for someone who is not mechanically minded hasn't got to rely on a handful of people who wish to become millionaires out of folks who love the look of the car but can not and would not fork out to pay some of the prices that the experts are asking for. Additionally the Miata comes DOHC with complete alternator air conditioning six speed gear box in less than $2K ...If that is not incentive enough I don't know what is. I hope Peter I have genuinely answered your question :-)

We have had other customers in the past who did Japanese drivelines in their car and it has turned into a wiring nightmare and such that we could offer no technical support. You will need to use a Miata engine wiring harness and the ECU and most likely all the gauges as well. You need to think about how the sensors in the engine will work with the gauges (ie. coolant temp sensor and how it will talk to the coolant gauge) as just 1 example. It's not as easy as you night think. Then how the Miata engine harness will mesh with your exterior lighting system.

Just trying to share the potential wiring issues and hurdles you and the amount of time and engineering you will face trying to make everything work.

Maybe you might find someone who has successfully done a Morgan Miata conversion and has a bulletproof blueprint.

Button Bill B
Seattle, Washington, USA   USA
That is the problem all right! When I converted to a ZETEC I had the help of someone who had already done this conversion: We thru out the computer and the fuel injection unit. Used Weber DCOE Carbs, and a Ignition only Computer. My friend already had the proper jets etc., that the Zetec needed. So that was easy. He also tuned the Webers for Me. Actually, once You have the proper jets etc. tuning is easy. The Ignition only Computer is another problem. I chose "NoDiz" a UK product. Mega Jolt is another. Cheaper but more complicated to use. "NoDiz" has a Technician that is very helpful, so far.

Button

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Broadcaster Bob RA
Thank you for your advice

If it was easy every one would do it but thanks for the advice. :-)

Broadcaster Bob RA
In reply to # 11697 by Button That is the problem all right! When I converted to a ZETEC I had the help of someone who had already done this conversion: We thru out the computer and the fuel injection unit. Used Weber DCOE Carbs, and a Ignition only Computer. My friend already had the proper jets etc., that the Zetec needed. So that was easy. He also tuned the Webers for Me. Actually, once You have the proper jets etc. tuning is easy. The Ignition only Computer is another problem. I chose "NoDiz" a UK product. Mega Jolt is another. Cheaper but more complicated to use. "NoDiz" has a Technician that is very helpful, so far.

Button

The guy who is helping has just done that we will throw away all computer gubbings and gauges. The Morgan does not require smog so all sensors will be out. so is only engine a small after market computer and either Delorto or Weber carburation. Electrics are the easiest, and as not many people know much about them, they are commonly used as weapons of intimidation. When you look at the electrics which are needed to run a Morgan, it is so simple it is not believable. I know I designed gauges for Smiths and Lucas for 15 years in England. How is that saying go? "I know a thing or two because I have seen a thing or two" :-) I agree with Button....... you will need someone with that after market knowledge of the simple computer, which acts as the distributor. In fact I heard some company in Australia has designed a distributor type thing just for Miata, which is very popular down under. Watch this space as I am going to see its feasibility and write about that.

Broadcaster Bob RA
In reply to # 11699 by Broadcaster
In reply to # 11697 by Button That is the problem all right! When I converted to a ZETEC I had the help of someone who had already done this conversion: We thru out the computer and the fuel injection unit. Used Weber DCOE Carbs, and a Ignition only Computer. My friend already had the proper jets etc., that the Zetec needed. So that was easy. He also tuned the Webers for Me. Actually, once You have the proper jets etc. tuning is easy. The Ignition only Computer is another problem. I chose "NoDiz" a UK product. Mega Jolt is another. Cheaper but more complicated to use. "NoDiz" has a Technician that is very helpful, so far.

Button

The guy who is helping has just done that we will throw away all computer gubbings and gauges. The Morgan does not require smog so all sensors will be out. so is only engine a small after market computer and either Delorto or Weber carburation. Electrics are the easiest, and as not many people know much about them, they are commonly used as weapons of intimidation. When you look at the electrics which are needed to run a Morgan, it is so simple it is not believable. I know I designed gauges for Smiths and Lucas for 15 years in England. How is that saying go? "I know a thing or two because I have seen a thing or two" :-) I agree with Button....... you will need someone with that after market knowledge of the simple computer, which acts as the distributor. In fact I heard some company in Australia has designed a distributor type thing just for Miata, which is very popular down under. Watch this space as I am going to see its feasibility and write about that.

I have been quiet lately but busy behind the scene ...The guy who is helping me (I call him Miata George) yesterday told me that if smog was no issue you can run all engines from 1989 (avoid 89 and 90) up to 1997 with a couple of the OEM Sensors and the OEM computer without any trouble. My Miata is 1994 and in itself a nice little car. I have spent some money and now the drive train is almost there as the drive shaft has no greasing point I think if I change that the Miata will be superb in itself. Though the plan is different. I am starting with the cylinder head cover polishing project next week Will keep you posted. Love to see what the Morgan will do with the Miata engine. My lady friend has fallen in love with the Miata ..that is another story not for the Morgan pages

Broadcaster Bob RA
someone wrote to me today never seen him on these pages he sent a PM asking about this Marko Tamislow or whatever his name is
Let it be known I do not answer a PM unless is one of the folks here and oh by the way that Croatian guy is a scam.

If you read earlier on he was trying to pull a fast one to sell a orange Red Morgan to me with NC registration documents'

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links