MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Amsco DA 29 alternator.

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NevB Neville Baguley
BURTON PEDWARDINE, Lincolnshire, UK   GBR
My 1961 Plus 4 restoration project came to me from Pennsylvania as a part finished car. It has an Amsco DA 29 alternator fitted which looks new and I would like to keep it on the car. Unfortunately I am unable to find any info on this model via the internet. I am not totally familiar with car electrics and would welcome any advice on how to connect it up if anyone out there has any experience with this make and model.

Thanks,

Nev.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
How many terminals does it have and how are they labeled?

NevB Neville Baguley
The main terminal says Batt which is fairly obvious but there are two spade terminals 'F2 and R1'. Is F2 the field connection, if so what is R1 for?

Nev.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas, USA   USA
1931 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Gwenda (Sold)"
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1970 Mini Countryman    & more
The R1 terminal may connect to an external regulator. Or, perhaps a rectifier/regulator. Do you know if this is Amsco's own design or if it's a relabeled alternator built by someone else? Amsco Valley Forge markets many types of alternators, but I don't know whether it's the same company.

Duncan

NevB Neville Baguley
Thanks for responding Duncan. The name AMSCO and the model number DA 29 is cast into the back plate of the alternator so I assumed from this that AMSCO was the name of the manufacturer.

Nev.

NevB Neville Baguley
I dismantled the alternator yesterday and took a few pics. Does anyone recognise any parts, is 0709 the rgulator?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Nev.

Attachments:
DSC_0703.JPG    38.4 KB
DSC_0703.JPG

DSC_0708.JPG    43.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC_0709.JPG    51.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
kanucka Larry D
MISSION VIEJO, California, USA   USA
Hi Neville: Duncan is right, this is a standard 10SI clone.

Amsco DA29 is a 63Amp systems integrated alternator. No external regulator needed. Delco Remy was the original GM manufacturer. Here is link for this model https://www.amscovf.com//HOUSING-SRE--DR-10SI_p_305822.html

Here is link explaining the 10SI http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

There are a couple of ways to hook this alternator up. You can use a dummy regulator or simply modify the wiring. Google search generator to 10si alternator conversion and you will see a plethora of options, although they are all basically the same, depends on what look you are after.

On my 66 +4 I installed a new loom so I had the changes made at the loom level. In my 55 +4 the dummy regulator option (with 30 AMP fuse built in) to preserve the look. My mini we simply gutted the older regulator and made the connections at the old regulator.

If you have any problems let us know and I can draw up the connections for you.

kanucka Larry D
MISSION VIEJO, California, USA   USA
Hi Neville, I forgot to mention this is a "3 wire" alternator and not a "1" wire alternator.

The terminals are BATT, Sensing and Indicator. Here is a simple connection picture using a short jumper wire from the Sensing wire to the BATT terminal.

Amscso BATT = Delco
Amsco R1 =Delco T1 (Indicator)
Amsco F2 = Delco T2 (Sensing)

I attached a picture file showing the connections.

Regards

Attachments:
10si alternator.jpg    30.4 KB
10si alternator.jpg

NevB Neville Baguley
Many thanks for your help Larry, I have now got the alternator back on the car and wired up as per your diagram. My voltmeter indicates that the charging system is now working fine.

Like you I had a new wiring loom made up to accommodate an alternator but it was for a standard Lucas type hence my original question.

Regards,

Nev.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links