Ash frames spare wheel carrier

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ash frames spare wheel carrier
  This topic is about my 1970 Morgan 4/4
Morland man Martin Reade
Steventon, Oxon, UK   GBR
My spare wheel carrier bottom and central spar have broken. What some sort of Ash is used and where can I buy some from. I am still waiting for a reply from Vic Champness, and Richard Williams who supply Vintage Shett Metal with wood frames.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
wrench76 Stephen Graseck
Southington, Connecticut, USA   USA
The lower cross bar on my 1962 4/4 was broken before I bought the car. I was able to use Elmer's wood glue to repair it, but I reinforced it with 1/2" aluminum angle screwed to the wood to make sure it would not break again. I used two pieces of angle on the bottom two edges of the bar so it's not obvious even with the spare wheel removed. I figure my Morgan is a "driver", not a restored car, so even if the repair was obvious I wouldn't care. The car is far from perfect but it's a lot of fun to tinker with and drive!

I think the wood Morgan uses is European Ash, sourced from Belgium. Probably not easily available outside of Europe.

wrench76 Stephen Graseck
Southington, Connecticut, USA   USA
Belatedly I realize you are from the UK, so the correct Ash may be available to you.

In the US Oak is easily available, Ash not so much, but Oak is brittle compared to Ash, which is why baseball bats and Morgan body frames are made of Ash.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Morland man Martin Reade
Steventon, Oxon, UK   GBR
Thank your for your reply and help. Vic Champness did come up trumps. He supplied the parts of the carrier that had broken. He also recommended that I use a lap joint rather than the complicated joints the factory use. Restorers may like to know that to remove and re-fit the carrier remove the fuel tank the carrier can then be slid forward over the axle.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links