Buy, Sell & Trade Forum

Hard Top [California, USA]

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
In reply to # 13820 by Britmog Lorne, I agree my Nephew is a Master Pipe Fitter, he works all over the world is never out of work and commands an executive salary. Currently working in the US on a major refinery project managing a team of 10, all expenses paid, expat status in the UK and earning $250,000. They just can't find the skilled workers anymore, he never went to University but took an apprenticeship straight from school, he's aged 39.

If I told you what my 33 year-old son-in-law makes with his plumbing comp, you would be nauseous. The point is that human skills have become very rare..at least in the western world. I have a clear perspective of that because I live in Canada, in a remote primary industry environment where large machinery must be repaired, in South America, where they repair everything, and lastly, the Morgan. In South America, expats come to spend the happiest years of lives, and stay only until their last light fixture, domestic machine and toilet stops working. Then they go back from whence they came, their dreams crushed. The lack of repair reflects their lack of the local language, the strangeness to the locals of their common necessities, the way new stuff is made, and the utter lack of skills. Honestly, we have the only residence, local or expat, that I know of where EVERYTHING functions. To that I credit my ownership of Morgans. Picture that behind the luscious photos of expat living abroad!!!.

A hint as to why would be helpful here. When we arrived years ago, my wife wanted a washer/dryer. Though you can hire labor for such things at a pittance, she is used to doing laundry herself. We find servants an invasion of our privacy. They had two almost identical models from the same manufacturer, one digitally operated and the other with rudimentary mechanical switches. I was curious as the prices were very different, the mechanical one costing 30% more! I chatted up the salesman and asked why. He explained that the digital one was, practically speaking, unreparable. When it broke, they would have to send away for a part, which would cost a huge amount and only arrive, (if I was lucky) 6 months to a year later, or more commonly not at all. In contrast, the mechanical one could always be repaired with locally available parts, new or used..most often from other devices. The machine should be good forever. Sadly, the manufacturer would not allow them a mechanical version unless they bought a digital version as well.

Lorne

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tcherek Avatar
tcherek Tcherek Kamstra
Bodega, CA, USA   USA
1968 Morgan Plus 8 (+8) "Dolly, OUY"
I have a hard top. Just saying'. Rutherford version 2, I think.

Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Anything for sale here needs to accompany pictures so that folks can see the offering
Just saying to help
Otherwise I am OK now I have my top on so to speak :-)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tcherek Avatar
tcherek Tcherek Kamstra
Bodega, CA, USA   USA
It's actually not for sale currently, as I was wondering about using it as a mold one day. Hoping the resident experts can advise whether to forget it or pursue the idea....

In reply to # 13922 by Broadcaster Anything for sale here needs to accompany pictures so that folks can see the offering
Just saying to help

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 13924 by tcherek It's actually not for sale currently, as I was wondering about using it as a mold one day. Hoping the resident experts can advise whether to forget it or pursue the idea....

In reply to # 13922 by Broadcaster Anything for sale here needs to accompany pictures so that folks can see the offering
Just saying to help
The factory and private individuals stopped making them for a reason
Early on Morgans were built unlike BMW or other German cars with tolerances which were measured plus or minus a foot (exaggeration but somehow apt)
Consequently very often (most of the time) the dimensions were never accurate so the tops made never fitted correctly. All the ones you see were always made to fit as per specific car so therefore no one could mass produce them and if they did they ended up with red face customers.....so it was dropped.

Many people bought the existing ones knowing full well so if they were short they cut them and lengthened them or if they were too wide they shortened them
If you make them you need to know which model, which year, and which version you are making it for so that the fitting adjustments does not involve major surgery but still might (the operating work is might) require some surgery. That is why I say they one I had miraculously "effing fitted mine with no surgery" ....and this was a miracle just as though it was made just for my car.....I still have to glaze it and that my friend is a different story. I have a fiber glass fabricator who can make one off by using the existing weather equipment as template to make the hard top but in the process the weather equipment may be destroyed......I recommend don't embark on this project if you with to retain a good name and enjoy it on your own morgan ....if it fits :-) on the other hand get orders fulfill them and then disappear to avoid backlash. Sorry I am not politically correct and cannot sugarcoat years of experience bitter owners have endured over this issue.

A lot of folks here may disagree the way in which I convey the information but in essence they would say the same thing

tcherek Avatar
tcherek Tcherek Kamstra
Bodega, CA, USA   USA
Thanks for that, I can now cross that idea off my list of things to ponder. I guess the one I found may be up for sale one day after all!

galja2 james g
marseiles, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
This is a fascinating the discussion about Morgan hard tops.
But seriously how often in the real world do we need a better top.
My daily driver 1965 to 1972 was a 1960 +4 dhc
Never wished for better top(maybe because a dhc or maybe because I was a bit younger)

Britmog Bruce M
Evergreen, CO, USA   USA
1964 Morgan 4/4 "Megan"
1994 Morgan Plus 8 (+8) "Maurice"
2013 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Olga"
James: Completely agree, can't think when or why you would need a hardtop unless you are racing or pretending to be. My daily driver when working in California was the +8, 95% of the time with the top down only had the soft top up when a real downpour. If you don't drive the moggy in the rain then there is no need for either a soft or hard top, probably another reason why its not cost effective to produce them.

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
I think it is pretty and always attracts folks around at the show but I like mine to look like TOK and not because that I want to pretend but there is a story about that
I never got on with my dad at any time of my life
When I was about 10 years old we went to Le Mans (1962)
As soon as I saw the Morgan I immediately fell in love with that
But he wanted the Sunbeam to win which it did not and I heard later him say to someone "The cockroach won" ....I was not sure he was being derogatory to Chris Lawrence or the car either way so I set out to own a cockroach and the cockroach that I have looks very similar to the real one and I like it.
More over the top can come off when I wish and can go back on at a matter of moment

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13934 by Britmog James: Completely agree, can't think when or why you would need a hardtop unless you are racing or pretending to be. My daily driver when working in California was the +8, 95% of the time with the top down only had the soft top up when a real downpour. If you don't drive the moggy in the rain then there is no need for either a soft or hard top, probably another reason why its not cost effective to produce them.

Hi Britmog!

They are very pretty. A stopper at every show with Morgan owners present and others audience when one is there. Sadly, a perfect hardtop is a function of the automobile's rigidity and precision craftmanship. So perfection is not a Morgan hard top characteristic. Our flexing frames are not happy with anything that does not flex..and the car also destroys the fit over time. For racers, they vastly improve aerodynamics, but the glassfiber exaamples are seriously heavy. On long mogging they negate the top down format. Totally impractical.

But Morgans are entirely impractical. I like seeing them around.

On soft tops, after examining them careful, and remaking or adjusting them, they can be leak-proof. I learned to rate them by the speed I can go to without a drop. I started at 35mph and have now managed 90 in two Mogs. The sad thing is that the Works finally got their design perfected just as the switched to the ..er..."easy hood". Happily they accommodated my insistence on a soft top in 2002. I hear they can be had a substantial additional cost now. They fold nicely and disappear without having to be bunched up and ruin the sublime lines of the car's silhouette. There are also so many ways to use them..depending on the conditions. Top up, sidescreens off. (Autoroutes, Motorways and Interstates) with iffy weather. Side screens up, top down, (in cold or light rain). Or, with some cunning folding, the top can be used as a tonneau, making an emergency top-up situation or a cover of the cockpit, take a minute.

I should create a gmg section for mogging.

gmg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 06:26 AM by GoMoG.

pgc1877 Avatar
pgc1877 Donald Gordon
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
The main reason one buys a hardtop for a Morgan is to make it looks like TOK 258...at least that's why I did it...I raced a green Plus 4 in vintage racing 20 years ago. When I acquired the car from a close friend who had it built for him by Bob Couch, I immediately set out to get a hardtop. After talking to many a crusty Mogophile I was lead to an old gent in rural Georgia. He apparently had made a few in years prior (this was late '90s). He said he had one uncompleted one left. I said "please complete it!". He said, I'll have to charge you $1250." I said, If you must... A few weeks later, I got it. It fit like O.J.'s glove, a bit tight but it fit. We called the revamped car "TOK 259". It looked great with its substantial roll bar now concealed by the OEW painted top. We ran number 29. Why I sold it to buy a Lotus Eleven Le Mans, I don't know. Chris Lawrence drove it once at Mid-Ohio and loved it..no doubt it helped that it had 30 or 40 BHP on the '62 Le Mans class winner..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 05:18 PM by pgc1877.

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13945 by pgc1877 Chris Lawrence drove once at Mid-Ohio and loved it..no doubt it helped that it had 30 or 40 BHP on the '62 Le Mans class winner..

I gather you did not get to hear Lawrence's speech at the OhMog event around that time.

gmg

pgc1877 Avatar
pgc1877 Donald Gordon
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
I did not. Mr. Lawrence was very kind about the car, I'm told. My mate, Tom owned it at the time. I was living in London and racing in Europe then. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. Lawrence is dead and the car's gone.

HOWEVER, as this is the buy and sell forum rather than the BS Forum, if anyone has or knows of a hard top that might fit a 1987 Plus 8, I am a buyer...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-10 08:38 PM by pgc1877.

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13957 by pgc1877 HOWEVER, as this is the buy and sell forum rather than the BS Forum, if anyone has or knows of a hard top that might fit a 1987 Plus 8, I am a buyer...

Wow! I am sorry my post offended you.

These things come my way regularly. I shall keep an eye out for you. Have you considered a Factory hardtop? They are MUCH lighter than the fiberglass.

gmg
1985 Plus 8

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-11 06:56 AM by GoMoG.

pgc1877 Avatar
pgc1877 Donald Gordon
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
Not at all, none taken. I just was not aware of the comments you referred to but I have heard quite a few stories about the man. I will investigate the hard top situation further. I do find the current hard top's rear window a bit odd. It looks up side down to me.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2010 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links