WTB: Windshield Mounting Brackets [California, USA]

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

johntennyson Avatar
johntennyson John T
Pacifica, CA, USA   USA
Salutations, etc. !

I've just come to own a '62 +4 and while it sort of came with a windshield (shattered), it didn't come with the brackets to mount it on the scuttle and I'm probably not going too far out on a limb to assume that holding it in place while driving would be less than ideal.

So...

Does anyone know where I can get a set of these things (as seen below on Lew Spencer's car at Laguna, back when the world was young)?

Thanks!

John Tennyson
Pacifica, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
default.jpg    38.5 KB
default.jpg

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
In reply to # 12159 by johntennyson I've just come to own a '62 +4 and while it sort of came with a windshield (shattered), it didn't come with the brackets to mount it on the scuttle and I'm probably not going too far out on a limb to assume that holding it in place while driving would be less than ideal.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of these things (as seen below on Lew Spencer's car at Laguna, back when the world was young)?

smiling smiley Of course if you held the windscreen, you could wave it at other cars as you pass them. winking smiley

FYI, those thingies are called windscreen pillar brackets..which is a way of telling you will need the two pillars as well along with the special screws. And if your frame is good condition, it is no great matter to replace the glass of your era..or up to 2000..and the days of the heated windscreens. In fact, as the flat Morgan glass is very weak (even the smallest curve in auto glass strengthens it immensely, it pits and scratches and I had one 12 month period year when I had to replace the windscreen 5 times between two Morgans! But it is easy and cheap to replace anywhere, any time. http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/screens.htm#WINDSCREENS

Be happy, as the heated glass windscreens used currently for almost two decades are extremely expensive and often back-ordered..so often forcing owners to lose their driving season. Outside of the UK, I recommend owners to return to schoolbus glass and use a generic forced hot air system and/or Rainex. No point in ruining an annual holiday because of yet another busted Morgan windscreen.

It is known as "school bus" glass and every regular glass supplier (the house window and coffee table supplier types). It is really two flat panes of glass with a super sticky element between them..so when the glass shatters it stays together. (also known as a safety glass variation). The thickness is important for a good glass fit so the shattered pieces are welcome. I think you can get by with anything made before 2003. But I would consult someone with deep Morgan knowledge as these things changes and the current stuff not only will not fit..they are ..er... less worthy.

I would either contact John Worrall at sales@heartofenglandmorgans.co.uk or Phil Wareham at Phil@morgan-cars.com They will be able to supply exactly the right stuff at the best prices, unless you can find used ones for the same era. I might even have some in Canada.. in spares. They will also have options, polished stainless, or the later pot metal.

Would like a cute story about involving these things? Tough luck you are going to get it anyway! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

There were many great stories about the old Morgan company. One of them was that they had no formal inventory system. That they merely had bins and barrels and when the level of parts in one became low, they would order more and fill up that bin...the ultimate FIFO (first-in-first-out system). The other element to the story was that Morgan, for a long time they used cast bronze for these parts, and then chromed them (bronze and copper are the best metals to chrome). Then, around the mid-1970s, they decided to save money and move to aluminum..but the foundry didn't come through right away..so they continued to use bronze, but spray painted them aluminum. eye rolling smiley

Anyway, my first Morgan was made at the end of 1984. I asked a Morgan pro for advice, as by the time I got the car, they were dull and dirty. He told me there was no great cure but the I could try to polish them. I keep buffing wheels for my table grinder and I gave it a go. To my shock, the metal became a brilliant gold!! I excitedly called my guru of the day and he burst out laughing. Apparently it took 8-9 years for the Factory to get to the very bottom of that barrel, what with later barrel fill-ups. My brackets came from an era almost a decade earlier! He said I should be grateful it wasn't the engine and suggested I go count how many cylinders I had.

Lorne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 11:38 PM by GoMoG.

Attachments:
A-Nova-Scotia-kamakasi-seagull.jpg    36.3 KB
A-Nova-Scotia-kamakasi-seagull.jpg

38 DHC Mark Braunstein
Vicinity of Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Moss MOG"
1938 Morgan 4-4 "Uncle Georges Winter Carriage"
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1986 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)    & more
John, I am not sure you are looking for the windscreen pillar brackets (one for each side) and screws as described by Lorne, or the smaller round 'Brooklands' windscreen for the race car I saw in another post??. The Brooklands screens are available everywhere to include Morgan Spares in NY (www.morgan-spares.com) and Moss Motors (https://mossmotors.com). Morgan Spares might have the full windscreen pillars as well.

Cheers,
Mark

Florida

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johntennyson Avatar
johntennyson John T
Pacifica, CA, USA   USA
Lorne-- you're probably lucky they came out the same color! That story reminds me of the stuff you'd see on Ducati motorcycles made before the Cagiva takeover. Park two '79 900 SS's next to each other at a meet and they'd have different turnsignals, decals, etc., since they just bolted on what they had on hand that day. The flies laminated in the fiberglass tanks fall into the same category.

I think it's cool!

Anyway, yeah, it's the L-shaped brackets I'm after-- getting a Brooklands screen is on the list, but they're everywhere. I've got a nice, new slab of 1/4 in Lexan to replace the glass. I built a Factory Five Cobra replica and a lot of those guys have replaced their cracked screens with polycarbonate, so I'll see how that goes. I've noticed that (go figure) non-angled windshields on low cars tend to live short lives!

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
John,
If you've dealt with polycarbonate before you probably already know how easy it is to scratch it, even when cleaning it with something no rougher than a paper towel.

Duncan
(Texas)

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 12197 by johntennyson Lorne-- you're probably lucky they came out the same color!

Never thought of that! You are absolutely right. They were probably put in the barrel in pairs. In any event, I was lucky!

They were badly damaged in our accident in 2002. A couple of years after, I had them re-polished and re-chromed. They still grace the UK Morgan we had.

Quote: Park two '79 900 SS's next to each other at a meet and they'd have different turn signals, decals, etc., since they just bolted on what they had on hand that day. The flies laminated in the fiberglass tanks fall into the same category.

That happens in Malvern when they are in a "model transition period". I don't track these things much after 2004, but for the first year or so of Aeros, there were no two cars alike. Same thing happened with my first car..made in 1984. One of the early EFIs. No two alike for a while.

Quote: I think it's cool!

Me too! smiling smiley

Quote: Anyway, yeah, it's the L-shaped brackets I'm after-- getting a Brooklands screen is on the list, but they're everywhere. I've got a nice, new slab of 1/4 in Lexan to replace the glass. I built a Factory Five Cobra replica and a lot of those guys have replaced their cracked screens with polycarbonate, so I'll see how that goes. I've noticed that (go figure) non-angled windshields on low cars tend to live short lives!

How right you are! Happily, there are so cheap to replace.

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 12159 by johntennyson Does anyone know where I can get a set of these things (as seen below on Lew Spencer's car at Laguna, back when the world was young)?
John Tennyson
Pacifica, CA

Lew is using an Aeroscreen in the picture. There are many variations on that theme. https://goo.gl/qcgXnK This supplier or John Worrall seem to be less than 1/2 the price of others for the same thing.

Here are better images to help you explain what you need exactly.

BTW.... look here. http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/front-side-lights/

Attachments:
windscreenSmall1.jpg    55.7 KB
windscreenSmall1.jpg

WindscreenSmall2.jpg    61.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
If you are looking for Brookland screens Moss Brothers sells them very similar
if you are looking for the brackets, Morgan spares under Chrome item 31, 33 and 37
You pays the money and gets the goods :-)

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Lorne was talking about windshields or windscreens (UK terminology)

Where did I read that you can get an American school bus windscreen (which is flat and cheap) and have it cut buy a glass merchant and you can have 2 one with the sunscreen blue colour on the top and a spare one without the sun screen? They are of similar thickness and shatter proof I remember it saying manufacturer Pilkington Gless?

Is there a truth in that

Now Lorne may be the authority on this....if so I would like to know

I have a small stone chip on mine and while I have been successful in repairing tiny spots on the Japanese cars with repair kits this little bugger refused to be repaired using the same brand of the kit costing me a $16.18 for no result.
{The end of the big spenders :-) }

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
I'm sure Lorne will chime in with his experience since he's done this a time or two (my 200K+ mile 1971 Plus 8 still seems to have its original glass...). I would argue against using glass with a tinted strip across the top. My '57 four-seater had this and I really did not like it at all even though there were plenty of times I was driving into a low sun. I would have preferred some simple sort of visor.

Duncan

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13800 by Broadcaster Lorne was talking about windshields or windscreens (UK terminology)

Correct. Sorry.

Quote: Where did I read that you can get an American school bus windscreen (which is flat and cheap) and have it cut buy a glass merchant and you can have 2 one with the sunscreen blue colour on the top and a spare one without the sun screen? They are of similar thickness and shatter proof I remember it saying manufacturer Pilkington Gless? Is there a truth in that ?

You saw that on GoMoG. An article that John Sheally II and I concocted years ago. http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/screens.htm#WINDSCREENS With our life mileage in Morgans (easily more than a 1/2 of million miles between us!), we have cracked or wore out Morgan windscreens regularly. Flat glass is VERY fragile. And it pits as well. Happily, until Morgan switched to heated windscreens (which are chronically back ordered and super expensive, pre-heated windscreen are a doodle. You simply require safety glass also called shatter proof glass of the right thickness. If made for automobiles, it is called "school bus" glass, the stuff you see on the sides of those yellow school buses. If you prefer, you can also use coffee table glass, which comes tinted in a number of colors.

Whether mine is cracked or not, I replace it as it becomes pitted. And my worse 12 month crack record, between two Morgans, was 5 cracked windscreens. But the prices I have paid have no been onerous. As little as $50 cdn in the nearby village in Quebec, to 100£ at Brands Hatch Morgan in England. (That dealer, best I have ever encountered, keeps unheated windscreens in frames at the ready. When you arrive, you simply swap..10-15 minutes. Otherwise, figure 1 hour at a professional glass cutter. Before you worry about it, you can either use a folded flexible buffer to suround the glass in the frame with RTV, or RTV alone.

Quote: I have a small stone chip on mine and while I have been successful in repairing tiny spots on the Japanese cars with repair kits this little bugger refused to be repaired using the same brand of the kit costing me a $16.18 for no result. {The end of the big spenders :-)

The professionals have better success with their equipment. Additionally, check your insurance policy. Glass replacement or repair is very often free. They merely bill the insurance company.

Lorne

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 13801 by DuncanCharlton I'm sure Lorne will chime in with his experience since he's done this a time or two (my 200K+ mile 1971 Plus 8 still seems to have its original glass...). I would argue against using glass with a tinted strip across the top. My '57 four-seater had this and I really did not like it at all even though there were plenty of times I was driving into a low sun. I would have preferred some simple sort of visor.

Duncan

For the mileage that I do Duncan and the hours of the day that I do it the sun is always in my eyes . Besides I think it would look cool............ but then we all have different tastes.For instance many men like nice skinny women I like body building types :-)))))

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13801 by DuncanCharlton I'm sure Lorne will chime in with his experience since he's done this a time or two (my 200K+ mile 1971 Plus 8 still seems to have its original glass...). I would argue against using glass with a tinted strip across the top. My '57 four-seater had this and I really did not like it at all even though there were plenty of times I was driving into a low sun. I would have preferred some simple sort of visor.
Duncan

Personally, Duncan, I'm with you. I merely change the angle of my hat brim, switch to darker glasses cool smiley or tell Audrey it's pint time.

gmg

DuncanCharlton Avatar
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
It's not just the dark strip at the top I don't like, I don't want plain ol' tinted glass on my Morgan either. In a wide open convertible I find it undesirable to have to look through the only tinted area within my field of vision to see what's ahead.

Duncan

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13811 by DuncanCharlton It's not just the dark strip at the top I don't like, I don't want plain ol' tinted glass on my Morgan either. In a wide open convertible I find it undesirable to have to look through the only tinted area within my field of vision to see what's ahead. Duncan

I am the same. But I gather you haven't had yourself modified to suit your Morgan. Melvyn Rutter has a package deal where they shorten you to 5'6.5" and remove 2-3 toes for the throttle pedal. I recommend it.

A happy customer.

gmg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morgan Plus 8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links