MorganExp

Morgan 3 Wheel Forum

Gearbox information for 33 3wheeler

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

333wheeler David C
Coffs Harbour area, Australia   AUS
Seeking info on the Burman gearbox used in matchless-engined 3-wheelers from 1932 onwards

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
David, I believe that type of steering box was built by Morgan. My 1936 Super Sports had a simple planetary gearbox about a foot away from the steering wheel in order to reduce the steering effort. The bottom end of the steering column has a short (3" long, perhaps) arm mounted at 90 degrees to the shaft. The short tie rod is attached from this arm at one end and to the starboard wheel's hub-mounted arm at the other end.

The upper column enters the box in an offset position because it has a small spur gear that meshes with a circular gear with teeth on the inside. This circular gear also engages a thin, wide gear that touches all the teeth in the circular gear, and is attached at its center to the lower steering column.

The geared steering showed up for the first time on production Morgans around 1927. I have read that prior to this some had fitted a Ford Model T reduction steering box. The latter has no built-in stop as the Morgan box must have, in order to avoid going over-center on the steering and having the steering wheel movement become the opposite of what the driver expects.

Duncan

Attachments:
Steering reduction box.jpg    45.6 KB
Steering reduction box.jpg

proxy.duckduckgo.jpg    14.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
333wheeler David C
Coffs Harbour area, Australia   AUS
Thanks Duncan, in this case I am referring to the transmission, apologies for the misunderstanding.
As it happens the UK club is being a fantastic help, who still make gearsets and all gearbox components.
When I get around to the steering, I may ask your help again!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
Whoops, I latched onto the word "Burman" (a name I associate with the steering boxes of four-wheeled Morgans) and ran with it. I haven't disassembled a 3-speeder gearbox before but the MTWC should have all the expertise you need.

Duncan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links