+ 4 Oil Filter

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
This is the first engine oil change for me
At some stage the reusable inset filter has been changed to a canister type where the numbers have rubbed off
The car is a 1962 / 63 and I just want to get a filter and be done with
What should I buy ? Please let me know
Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
38 DHC Mark Braunstein
Vicinity of Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Moss MOG"
1938 Morgan 4-4 "Uncle Georges Winter Carriage"
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1986 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)    & more
I too have the spin on filter modification. I use one of these in my Plus 4 w/TR3 engine. Not sure if yours is a TR3 or TR4. I would suspect they use the same, but I am not an expert. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. You can get them at just about any Auto Parts store.

Oil Filters for the TR3
FRAM - PH3600 (used for the 4/4), PH2870A, PH966B
NAPA GOLD 1516, NAPA 1034
MOBIL1 M1209
AC PFL400A
PUROLATOR PL20195
WIX 516

Cheers,
Mark

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Mark
It has FRAM on it but numbers are not legible
I don't know the differences between TR3 and TR4 engines but mine has twin SUs and I think it would possibly be TR4. It is almost a 2 litre car

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... I've been using Wix 51516. Fits Ford 81-09.

Tim (D.Y.M.)

38 DHC Mark Braunstein
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
I can't tell the difference between the TR3 or TR4 either and the carb configuration probably won't help. Again, I don't think there will be a difference as I think there is only one spin on filter kit.

However, the difference in the oil filters is primarily the diameter of the screw on opening and the treads in the opening. (Some filters are simply too large to fit the available space, but this should be the case for the Plus 4.) So you need to find one that matches what you have on the car. Also, I would opt for a filter that includes an anti-drain-back-valve. The anti-drain-back-valve prevents oil from draining out of the filter when the engine is turned off. This can happen if the car is used infrequently. A dry filter is not wanted during start up. And, I believe cheap filters have cheap valves. (Race cars are another story!)

Cheers,
Mark

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
For exactly the thread issue I am reluctant to take the current filter out. It would be easy to take it out and take it to the shop for another but what if the shop does not have exact item. cannot put the old filter back with new oil !!
That is why I want to be sure what I get to replace
The saga of owning an antique but can't help but loving the old girl :-)
Price is immaterial I only drive the car about 30 miles a week...if that but it is 6 months into the ownership and the previous owner has changed oil regularly every 3 months according to the current records. and it almost 60 years the odometer is showing 82Km and yes it is in working order
Yes the valve thing is a good point....... I would want one with a decent valve on it

38 DHC Mark Braunstein
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
The treads are all pretty standard now. There may only be one or two variants, and the filters are absolutely everywhere, even Walmart. I wouldn't sweat finding one.

Cheers,
Mark

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Mark
Fram would be a good one because the one on the car is a Fram
....but you mention 3 part numbers for Fram do you know which one?

tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... The Fram PH966b is shorter and has not got the anti drain back valve. The PH2870A is longer and has the valve. The Wix filter is longer and has the valve. A little harder to find bus Frams reputation has muddied a bit over the last few years. I've use the Wix and buy them by the 6 pack. The other number is for the Ford powered cars.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

Jondik Jonathan Kinghorn
Lexington, MA, USA   USA
1960 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "Pickersleigh"
I have the Fram 2870A (sprayed black to kill the orange) and have no issues to report

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
On behalf of the world TR Morgan Community...I thank you all. A new GoMoG page appears!!

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/Plus4OilFiltersSpinon.html smileys with beer

Bill Morris Avatar
Nor Cal, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Bob,

Without trying to start the oft discussed oil filter choice, I would not use a Fram filter
I have used the NAPA (wix) 1516 and have been pleased.

Google "bobs the oil guy" and read everything you ever wanted to know about filters/oil.

Bill

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 13853 by GoMoG On behalf of the world TR Morgan Community...I thank you all. A new GoMoG page appears!!

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/Plus4OilFiltersSpinon.html smileys with beer

Thanks Lorne
Car is a 1963 with twin SU carbs

How do I tell TR3 from TR4 ?
Attached is 2 photos of engine

Attachments:
Morgan engine 1.JPG    64.2 KB
Morgan engine 1.JPG

Morgan engine 2.JPG    56.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
In reply to # 13860 by Broadcaster Thanks Lorne
Car is a 1963 with twin SU carbs . How do I tell TR3 from TR4 ?
Attached is 2 photos of engine

No clue. Engine-wise, most of what I know of TRs is from the guys here and others. My forte is Plus 8 engines.

However, there is an immense amount of stuff on TRs on GoMoG. I also have a TR2-TR4A Workshop Manual in pdf format. Would you like me to add it to GoMoG?

gmg

tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... I don't know of any external differences between TR3 and TR4 engines. There is a visual difference between the TR4 and the later TR4A. On the TR4A engine, the intake manifold is longer and curved, unlike the picture. The carbs are then shorter (HS6 vs H6). Yours could be a TR3 or TR4 but which one shouldn't matter from a parts or performance standpoint. The TR4A engine makes about 5 more hp. Morgan never used the TR4A style exhaust manifold staying with the TR3 style.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1938 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links