Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Morgan Treasure Hunt

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Morgan Treasure Hunt
  This topic is about my 1953 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
wsb1960tr3a Avatar
wsb1960tr3a Bill Brewer
Tehachapi, CA, USA   USA
My best bud Lou Z bought a 1952 Plus 4 Flat Rad in 1955. In 1957 he got married. In 1958 the wife made him sell it and talked him into buying a Nash Rambler station wagon. In 1959 they divorced. In 1964 he found his old car and bought back. It had been in an accident racing at Laguna Seca and had rear ended a Porsche 356 at the hairpin because the Porsche had front disc brakes and could decelerate quicker. I think that that was at the 1961 spring Laguna Seca. I hope to research that. The front suspension and crosshead had been replaced when my friend bought it. He decided to do a front disk brake conversion, but it stalled out when he bought another Morgan to drive while he rebuilt the 52. For 53 years the car has sat in his garage (or sometimes outside under a tarp). He gave me the car and I had to pay for new parts that he had purchased for it. Today, we went over to unearth it from his hoarders garage. It will take months to find the rest of the missing parts. Here are some photos. The first photo is "as found" in the garage. Yes, there is a Flat Rad in that photo. The second is after we cleaned out the junk around it with my friend Lou standing next to it. The third is as it now sits in my garage.
The car has a variety of great or unique things about it:
1. It came with a complete set of rebuilt gauges, including a tach.
2. The car has two custom made aluminum rim Borrani wheels with Borrani knockoffs.
3. The car came with three engines: Standard Vanguard, TR3 and TR4.
4. The car has good wood and only surface rust on unpainted surfaces.
5. The car came with the original seat squab, in good condition still.
6. It came with a new gray leather seat squab, cushions and bladders.
7. The car came with quite a few spares. I may sell them after the resto is completed.
8. I have already 5-axis CNC'd a new dash from solid walnut that has a cutout for the tach and an opening glove box door.

I plan to finish the disk brake conversion, rebuild and install the TR3 engine and install a Morgan-Spares 5-speed conversion and get the car back on the road next summer so my friend can see it drive again during his usable lifespan.

My wife is out of town and doesn't know that yet another British car has followed me home.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC04643.JPG    69.7 KB
DSC04643.JPG

DSC04646.JPG    50.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC04670.JPG    61.4 KB
marsha1ben Ben G
Parker, CO, USA   USA
Isn't this how all old Morgans are found and bought?

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
I look forward to reports about how the reassembly/restoration is going. I'd like to see a closeup of those Borrani wire wheels. Lee G. of South Carolina once owned (and raced) a Plus 4 (perhaps a Super Sports) with wide Borranis but I don't recall that the photos showed the knock-off spinner extending so far outboard.

Duncan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... Scroll down on this page and check out the red car. They make a very good copy of the Borrrani. Maybe even for the Unipower. I tried one of the Ferrari wheels on the Morgan. I'd have to widen the fenders by about 4 inches.

http://www.turrinowirewheels.com/

Tim(D.Y.M.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-12 10:18 AM by tjw.

wsb1960tr3a Avatar
wsb1960tr3a Bill Brewer
Tehachapi, CA, USA   USA
This is for Duncan Charlton who wanted to see a closeup of the Borranis. I have more pix if you have questions.
The guy I got them from said that they came off of a Moretti.

Attachments:
DSC04678.JPG    51.2 KB
DSC04678.JPG

DSC04679.JPG    60.6 KB
DSC04680.JPG    59.7 KB
DSC04684.JPG    48.8 KB
DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
Thank you!
Duncan

tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... The brake situation depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you plan to roll it off the trailer onto the show grounds and then back into the trailer, go with drums-originality you know. If you want it to be a good driver, discs are the way to go. I see two ways to go. Convert to all Morgan bits or continue adapting the TR stuff. Going with Morgan stuff might be a bit pricy because a lot of it is Morgan specific. Going with TR stuff means having caliper mounts made. I doubt the Morgan brackets would work. Both use 11 inch rotors but I doubt the Morgan brackets will locate the calipers correctly laterally. You would also have to work out front-rear balance, possibly by using TR rear brake cylinders. Might be lucky if the TR and Morgan calipers have the same bore pistons. As to up rated calipers, they are really cool but I don't know if I would go the extra cost. They are a bunch lighter which helps but unless you are running stickier tires, You are limited by what the tires can do. Remember that by far, most Morgans are running on original spec brakes without problems. What ever you finally come up with, definitely go with the Porterfield R4S linings Lorne mentioned. They are one of the most cost effective things you can do for your car.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

galja2 james g
marseiles, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
W hat a great car I am sure it will be.
Depending on your budget and if you have the moss box I would skip the 5 speed conversion.
I drove a Morgan as a daily driver for 5 years and got use to the Moss box as well as with my current +4.
Having said that the 5 speed is easier shifting etc.
Why not the Tr4 engine unless the tr3 is in better shape.

wsb1960tr3a Avatar
wsb1960tr3a Bill Brewer
Tehachapi, CA, USA   USA
I already have a 1953 Plus 4 with a Moss box. Charming, but I have to drive a lot on highways and freeways and regularly wish I had a 5th gear.
I have a complete TR4 engine and a disassembled TR3 engine. I will probably use the TR3 engine because it seems more natural to have a TR3 engine in an early Morgan for some reason. A TR4 engine seems a lot later while a TR3 engine might be more "period" for a 50's car. Maybe I am OCD or something.

tr4play Avatar
tr4play Eric Elman
CT, USA   USA
Back in the day there was a Borrani conversion kit made for MG TD and TF. It used 52 centers as shown in the pics provided in a previous post. I wonder if this is using those wheels? Back then, all mainstream sports cars had 42 hubs; only bigger and more powerful sports cars used 52. Jaguar E-Type was the lower price point car using 52 as did more expensive cars as well. I never understood why 52 were part of the kit mentioned and suspect that somewhere there was an abundance of 52 hubs, along with owners that wanted Borrani for their sports cars and hence a kit was made up. Could these be from that kit offered back in the day?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Morgan Roadster

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links