Morgan +4 Forum

The lost nipple :-)

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Not yet finished with oil filter saga now I seem to have another :-)

I have a new grease gun which has a flexible hose and it is attached to the compressor

I also have a ton of Grease cartridges that will fit in this gun

I was studying the chart for greasing the Morgan as it is now due

I have located all but one grease nipple

According to all my documents there should be one on the water pump. I have looked with even high power lights and there is no sign of a nipple on my water pump. Is there a possibility at some stage the water pump may have been replaced with a unit that does not need to be greased? Is there such modification? If so what maintenance is required?

I have looked all round the device but I cannot see a nipple anywhere.

The car is a 1962/63 plus 4

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... The original Triumph water pumps had grease nipples. I've never seen a replacement with one. Neither of my cars has them.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 13872 by tjw Greetings... The original Triumph water pumps had grease nipples. I've never seen a replacement with one. Neither of my cars has them.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

I have spent hours looking for it ........... not wishing to make myself look like an idiot here couldn't see one. :-)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MoodyManitobaMorgan Avatar
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
"I have spent hours looking for it ........... not wishing to make myself look like an idiot here couldn't see one". :-)

HI Bob,,,,Forget about ever having to feel or regard yourself as being perceived in that way around here.
Your desire to increase your knowledge and enlightenment regarding all things Morgan and sharing that
process has already established you as a respected and staunch disciple of "the faith"....grinning smiley

tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings ... Some TR restoration "experts" will drill and tap a blind hole and fit a nipple for the "proper" (one of my least favorite words, that and "correct"winking smiley look. I prefer to drive my cars.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
I love to drive my car too but NEVER in rain :-)
I am conservative in my driving until I am sure the car is reliable enough

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
In reply to # 13880 by MoodyManitobaMorgan "I have spent hours looking for it ........... not wishing to make myself look like an idiot here couldn't see one". :-)

HI Bob,,,,Forget about ever having to feel or regard yourself as being perceived in that way around here.
Your desire to increase your knowledge and enlightenment regarding all things Morgan and sharing that
process has already established you as a respected and staunch disciple of "the faith"....grinning smiley

I vote for that as well!

I get whacked often for the way GoMoG is written or how I write a response. But what's the point of writing for practiced mechanics when most of the target audience are home garagistes! One must write for the least knowledgeable. Leave nothing to chance or each instruction raises more questions or adds to inherent risks. And add the rationale and history behind each move.

gmg

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
All is well as it ends well
The lost nipple caused a ripple :-)

GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary R
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"    & more
Bob,

Your car is a gem, if it were mine I'd have put a couple of thousand miles on it by now. Of course, I'm the guy who bought a car 250 miles from my house that hadn't been really been driven in about 20 years and proceeded to drive it home. I appreciate your caution, but, believe me you've got a good one there.

Lorne,

You are so right about writing simply and for us DIY'ers and your comment about raising more questions when a certain level of expertise is assumed couldn't be more spot on.

Gary

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Gary me olde Chum
It is all matter of confidence
Having read account of minute by minute of TOK 258 at the race and many others I know how a car of that caliber should do ......it is not there yet...... and to be honest I don't have the hands on knowledge of some of you guys on this model and my hands on knowledge of performance cars is rusty at best and dates back to 1979 which is a long time ago
additionally Gary I am very conservative and need to get to know the machine well enough to know its demands and idiosyncrasies and that takes time. This is a project of lifetime and I guess I am taking my time

On the other hand you are a maverick :-) and you do zany things which I admire and often makes me laugh. I would have never driven that car specially 250 miles with the state that the structure was but you will have a lovely car there once done. I think you said the bumper fell off and you had to stop and retrieve it ..........or this was another car?

Any way rain tomorrow no show for me and I think you are at the wood shop

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
While on the subject of grease nipples can anyone please tell me about the 2 nipples on the brake and clutch pedal.There are 2 on my car (Plus 4 1962/63) but they look too small for a grease nipple. They almost look as though they have been sawn off!!!
I cannot see a part number for them on Morgan Spares........Attempting to grease the existing ones amounts to grease seeping out of the grease gun and there is no positive locking as there is on other nipples on the drive shafts etc.
I thought grease nipples had universal same size dimensions so that they could lock on to the gun.

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
I think there are at least two different size zerk fittings these days (it may be solely due to differences in the threads). There have been many types from grease cups to nipples without a shape that would allow a grease gun to lock in place but I think auto manufacturers have narrowed it down to using one type (at least as far as the shape of the unthreaded portion of the nipple). The grease nipples on my Plus 8's pedals fit my grease gun. Is there a hex at the base of the nipples that would allow you to unscrew it and replace them with a modern type?

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 13893 by DuncanCharlton I think there are at least two different size zerk fittings these days (it may be solely due to differences in the threads). There have been many types from grease cups to nipples without a shape that would allow a grease gun to lock in place but I think auto manufacturers have narrowed it down to using one type (at least as far as the shape of the unthreaded portion of the nipple). The grease nipples on my Plus 8's pedals fit my grease gun. Is there a hex at the base of the nipples that would allow you to unscrew it and replace them with a modern type?

Thanks Duncan

yes there is a hex which will allow the nipple to be removed
That said the protrusion from the hex is so low in height that in my opinion no grease gun can fit successfully....nevertheless I tried but all grease spluttered out of the sides
My fear is if I take them out first they are old (about 60 years old) and secondly they are foreign to this land and as Morgan spares does not seem to quote them in their site I am left wondering what to do I will be happy to replace them if only I knew with what to replace them with and where to get them from?

I am also grateful that you look the effort to read all the replies to realize that there was another nipple issue:-)
nipples are causing issues one way or the other :-)

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
I took out the pedals and disassembled them to remove the hardened grease and grime. Any grease I injected through the zerk fittings might or might not have gone where I wanted it to prior to that. While I was at it I replaced the zerks with 90 degree versions. I think it was worth it to go to the trouble.

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Duncan
Do you happen to remember the part numbers and where you bought them?
I am guessing that +8 and +4 may be sharing the same
Thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1938 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links