AutoShrine Sponsor

GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary R
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"    & more
I take running and driving soon..................Thanks for the kind words, yeah Chuck is very good at what he does and without him this would've been very expensive or not nearly as well done. I'm hoping it'll be as solid as yours once it's finished. See ya next Saturday.
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Mine need a lot doing but fiddly things for which I have no clue but as Lorne said "It is a matter of having too"
So baby steps learn to crawl ...to walk ...and eventually to run with it

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Button,
Good question, the wood under the brace was solid with no dry rot, in fact about 1/2 of the board was still good. So, not wanting to do the extra work of separating it from the brace and we were getting short on wood we went with the short cut. Six months from now I may be kicking myself for not doing it, but, for now I need to move this project along.

BTW, do you have a finished picture of your 'epoxy' rocker. I'm thinking about using that for the edges of the rear wheel well, the wheel well itself is intact but the edges are a little jagged toward the leading edge.

Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Button Avatar
Button Silver Member Bill B
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Here is how it is so far. The Epoxy is SculpWood. I am not sure how well it will hold nails or screws. Therefore I am glueing the sheet metal on with 3M5200. This is My +4-4Str not DHC. I will work on the DHC when I get the 4 str done. BTW I have owned the +4-4Str since 1994. It has many miles on it including a Boat trip to France.

Button

Attachments:
IMG_2446.JPG    39.1 KB
IMG_2446.JPG

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
How it holds nails would be important to me because we need to nail on the side panel. A new one is being made and we plan to have a wider lip than original just so we have a new nail row inside the old one. I have used Minwax wood filler, which is an epoxy, and it seems to nail or screw pretty much like wood. What you've done looks substantial and should easily support the sheet metal. If you going the adhesive route you don't have to worry about nails or screws for that matter, working out over time. That's my concern with the epoxy if it's nailed. I wish you many more miles in the 4 str and eventually the DHC.

Gary

Button Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I wish I could recommend the adhesive but even though I used it on the 1/4 panels when I built My +8 Bitsa and it seems to work OK. Over 10 years and 50,000 miles I am still not convinced that this is the way to go instead of nails. Just using the "SculpWood" epoxy is risky and not orthodox. I know of no one in the Biz that would do what I do. I would suggest pre drilling the nail holes in the ash to insure it does not split. It should be pretty dry wood. Do not use ring boat nails. Ask Me how I know.

Button

Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
I have heard a lot about a substance called Git Rot

I have an inch of dry rot at the front of the driver side at the bottom of the door not on the door but the frame directly underneath that I would like to treat

I am waiting for you guys to do the job and depending on your success use the same material as I am an absolute novice in woodwork but can do excellent job with brain surgery :-)

Button Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Check out "The Rot Doctor" and a product called "CPRS" A Penetrating Epoxy. I have used this for years when rot happens on My Morgans.

Button

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Button, Thanks for the tip in the nails, I was wondering how they would work. The problem I am having with nails is the small 'brad' type nails are bending because the wood is too hard. I need to find the right nail for use in a nail gun and as of yet, I haven't found the right item. It needs to have a head so it does the retaining work it's supposed to.

Bob, I can check out your rot problem and advise what might be best. Button's suggestion for CPRS is a good one, similar in all aspect to "Git Rot". Actually I used the Git Rot on the sill board and it did harden and solidify it, the problem was it was missing too much fibre and it only works where there is existing material. It works a treat in the right application. If you have soft wood, but enough of it, either product will do the job. Once cured you can drill it, screw it and paint it.

Gary

Button Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Forget the nail gun. Not for this application. The nails are rather stout and made of steel. I think there is a Auto restoration shop that has the proper nail. Ask Derek Willburn, He will know what and where on this. If You do not know Derek, get back to Me.

Button

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Button,
I know Derek, consulted with him on my wood project. I give him a call and thanks for the "heads up" on the nail gun thing.

Gary

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Just to follow up on the correct nails for the installation of the body panels and exterior stuff, Derek recommends Morgan Spares for these so, based on his experience, I'll take his advice and order some.

Gary

Button Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Remember there are nails and there are little screws in the edge. I think the screws should be steel but better check this out and order them from Morgan Spares as well. I would think the screws go in first and then the nails.

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
The only screws for that application I came across was the fire wall which had primarily the nail/screws. The sheet metal seems to be on with just nails, at least the rear side panels, cowl area inside the doors and the narrow trim piece below the doors. Thanks again,

Gary

Button Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
My 1963 +4-4Str has screws and nails. two nails and a screw two nails and a screw. Better talk to Derek.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2010 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links