Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MorganExp

Morgan +4 Forum

Wood replacement

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wood replacement
  This topic is about my 1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary R
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"    & more
I thought I'd post an update on my continuing effort to get the wood sorted on my DHC. Originally I thought it was an isolated problem just at the right side rocker, but, alas, it continued around the back of the car on the lower left corner where 5 separate pieces come together. I was able to locate a rocker from Morgan Spares but not so fortunate for the rear pieces. So, we had to make them. Hopefully, I can post pictures to make this a little more informative. These first pictures attached are of the left rear after a few cuts were made and the rear cross piece was removed. The second picture is of the rear cross piece and the left rear 'rail' piece, both to be remade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-27 04:43 PM by GBGary.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
old wood 3.jpg    49.1 KB
old wood 3.jpg

old wood 2.jpg    44.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
The rot as you can see from the pictures extends from the rail piece, part of the wheel well, chassis strip and rear cross piece. The rail, chassis piece and rear cross piece were completely remade using the good right side for templates. The wheel well and side plywood will be sectioned and pieced in. The photographs show the new pieces made but not installed. We'll be doing the installation this Saturday.

Attachments:
new wood 1.jpeg    42 KB
new wood 1.jpeg

new wood 2.jpeg    25.6 KB
Rear wood 1.jpeg    30.1 KB
GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
I'll update this thread after the installation is complete. Hopefully we'll get it done on Saturday. A little background on this project, we are using Ash wood that will be sealed with marine varnish when complete. We've made corner braces for the joints at the top of the side rails that meet the wood surround for the top. Additionally, where there is signs of age cracking and shrinkage, yes this old wood does seem to shrink a bit, I'll be using "Git Rot" marine epoxy wood filler to finish up the joints and fill the cracks. This stuff is pretty amazing and can be used for filling areas larger than I have. After the rear is complete, I'll tackle the right side rocker. I repaired it prior to receiving the replacement piece. I posted a before and after picture of the rocker, but, it will be much better when the replacement piece is used. I have to give a shout out to my dear friend Chuck, without his woodworking skills this job wood never have been undertaken. Stay tuned.............

Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
rot 1.jpg    61.9 KB
rot 1.jpg

rot 2.jpg    38.7 KB
GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
We finished the installation of the new wood pieces and all went pretty much as planned, quite surprisingly. The side panels are being remade, but, the old panel fitted right up to the new wood which we had some concern about. The first two pictures show the new pieces for the left side, one closeup. The last picture is of the new rail piece and a 'non-original' corner piece we added for added bracing. All that's left to do to the rear of the car is seal the wood. The rocker will be attacked in the next couple of week ends. Happy New Year to all and happy motoring.

Attachments:
wood 3.jpg    52.4 KB
wood 3.jpg

wood 8.jpg    50.8 KB
wood 7.jpg    46.9 KB
Button Avatar
Button Silver Member Bill B
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I have been experimenting using Epoxy Products to repair/replace rotten wood. The product I am using at the moment is called "SculpWood - Moldable Epoxy Putty". I comes in plastic buckets A & B which are combined by hand 50:50. On My +4 the outer edge of the sill is rotted. I removed the 1/4 panel and used a "Rockwell SoniCrafter" to remove the rot. The rot was between 1/2 to 3/4" thick. I then mixed a handful of "A" together with a handful of "B". They are different colors, tan and white. I needed these 2 handfuls of SculpWood until they were the same color - light tan. I then applied this stuff with My fingers to fill the area that I removed the rot. When done it looks like a messy job. Overnight setup and then sanded with a variety of tools. The main tool is a long sanding tool used by body repair craftsmen. I did this multiple times filling the low places and sanding off the high. It sands very easy. When done I will paint it and doubt You will be able to tell that I used epoxy. But the benefit of using wood (ASH) is universal for the building of carriages. It is tough and flexible and holds screws very well. One of the chief reasons a Morgan rides and handles as good as it does is accommodated by using ASH. If I still had My wood shop I certainly would have used ASH. But I no longer have a wood shop so I chose something I could do about this rot.

Another epoxy product is CPRS, sourced from the "Rot Doctor" in Seattle. I used this on timbers that had rot but had not crumbled. 1/4" holes are drilled in the timber and a hypodermic needle is used to feed CPRS into the timber. The carrier evaporates leaving epoxy saturated in the rotten wood. Sort of like "Git Rot". Again does this treatment negate the benefits of ASH? I must think it does, how much I do not know.

No Professional Morgan Restorer would use epoxy. 1. It is unproven and 2. they have the tools necessary to do a good job using ASH.

As I proceed I will show pictures. This is certainly an "At Your Own Risk" project.

Button

Attachments:
Rotted sill 2.JPG    49.7 KB
Rotted sill 2.JPG

Rotted sill 11 (1).JPG    47.1 KB
Button Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
While I am at it I might as well shock the Morgan Community with My method of attaching the sheet metal. I glue it on. Using 3M 5200. when I built My +8 I glued the 1/4 panels onto the wooden frame. This was done over 7 years ago and so far so good. The positives are this method stiffens the body. The negatives are this method stiffens the body. Like I discussed the reason a body tub is made as it is is because it is strong and flexible. Another downer is that it will be almost impossible to remove the sheet metal without ruining it as well as the wood frame. 3M5200 is tenacious stuff. The other aspects of this glue is the time available to apply the glue and fit the sheet metal so the job gets done at the maximum ability of the adhesive. Need to experiment a bit on this. For example; fitting the scuttle with adhesive. Big piece of sheet metal with two right angle bends. I wanted to glue it, but instead nailed and screwed it in place because I did not think I could apply the glue and fit the scuttle fast enough. Maybe with a second person it may work and then there is the worry that I would end up with a stiff body tub as well as a hard ride.

Button

Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
really impressive Gary

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Thanks Bob, Chuck just finished the new rocker, see pic's below. The rocker piece I got from Morgan Spares was not quite like the original. The forward part was spot on, but the rear portion was too thin. So Chuck made a new rear section and grafted it on to the piece from MS. We'll install it on Saturday.

Attachments:
Rocker 1.jpeg    48.4 KB
Rocker 1.jpeg

Rocker 2.jpeg    43.6 KB
Rocker 3.jpeg    39.2 KB
GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Here is the new rocker piece temporarily installed, because we needed to make a new sill board as the old one was just too far gone. New sill board should be in next Saturday.

Attachments:
Rocker install.jpg    51.7 KB
Rocker install.jpg

Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Is this using the swedish ash as we spoke?
it looks perfect

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Yes, it's referred to as Norwiegen Ash, but I think that's more a description than the place of origin. My understanding is this is a cold weather Ash that is naturally dried. I know one thing and that is this is a very hard wood. Below are the pic's of the finished sill board. We left about 4" of the old board and we'll attach with a lap joint, you can see in the first picture. The plan is to install it tomorrow after C&C. Finish pictures to follow.

Attachments:
Door sill 1.jpeg    39.8 KB
Door sill 1.jpeg

Door sill 2.jpeg    35.1 KB
Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Norwegian Wood ....sounds familiar :-)
Seriously though it looks great

GBGary Avatar
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
Here is the last installment of the wood replacement saga. Saturday we did the final fitting of the rocker and then fitted the new sill board. Other than some minor trimming it all went together fairly easily. Between the new rear section rebuild and the rocker and sill board replacement, the body has regained close to it's original integrity. We retained a portion of the original sill board, the section that is under the original metal brace. This necessitated using a 'lap' joint to join the two pieces together. (see the 3 screws near the "B" pillar.) Below are the pictures after installation and sealing.

Attachments:
Finished rocker.jpg    41.9 KB
Finished rocker.jpg

Finished rocker 2.jpg    39.2 KB
Finished sill.jpg    51 KB
Broadcaster Avatar
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
Hey Gary
Your guy is an artist ..it almost looks as though it was done with Morgan factory jigs
Kudos where it is due
looks nice, if all restoration goes like this you may even have a concourse Morgan specimen soon
Looks very nice

Button Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
"We retained a portion of the original sill board, the section that is under the original metal brace. This necessitated using a 'lap' joint to join the two pieces together. (see the 3 screws near the "B" pillar.) "

Why? Not that I disagree with this but seems to Me, at first glance, unnecessary. I have My DHC open at this point and I have somewhat the same problems as You have other than I think I can save the rocker but the sill board is very marginal.

Button

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links