MorganExp

Morgan +8 Forum

changig gearbox remote bushes

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

emmamenai Brian Welch
Cardiff, wales, UK   GBR
hello all, I have to change the bushes on the gear change remote. just wondered if any body had done this job and had any tips. does the interior tunnel come out to access the gearbox remote many thanks Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
Yes. I have done it a few times, even in a race track paddock. What would you like to know?

Lorne

AMelvin Alfred Melvin
Honolulu, HI, USA   USA
I'm working on a 1992 +8 with 5 speed transmission. I've noticed this post and have been told this is the solution to difficulty in shifting to second gear.
My question is do I have to remove the transmission tunnel or can this be done through the access holes on the sides?
Thanks in advance.

Alfred Melvin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13822 by AMelvin I'm working on a 1992 +8 with 5 speed transmission. I've noticed this post and have been told this is the solution to difficulty in shifting to second gear.
My question is do I have to remove the transmission tunnel or can this be done through the access holes on the sides?
Thanks in advance. Alfred Melvin

hmm... The Morgan Gods have strangely victimized 2nd gear on the LT77 (and to a lesser degree on its successor the R380 (1977-2004 on the Plus 8 and 1988-2000 for the Plus 4)). Different issues will express themselves in that gear. But let's assume your issue with 2nd is being caused by those earlier pre-poly bushes. There is a high likelihood that could be the case...though there is no reason another gear or all gears could not have been its victim, aside from the fact that 2nd is a very popular gear in the shift cycle.

I have run into the issue many times, once on my own car, twice with racers trackside and scores of times like this or the GoMoG Help Line. In a nutshell, full access makes the job easier, aside from the @$#@$ fiddle most cars present getting the tunnel off. And full access normally means no collateral damage. Admittedly, in a relay racing situation (the Birkett), when time is of the essence, I have been known to cut the tunnel for instant access and to go on to great glory if the team wins the race,smileys with beer and annoyance if they don't. hot smiley

You are not in a race. Take the tunnel off. Not only will this give you access to ALL of these bushes, but it is the first step in ALL of the other issues that could be at fault. Do NOT change the guilty ones only...change them all. The original rubber ones will fail again (10-20 years) and the polyurethane or neoprene ones will last forever.

https://bit.ly/2Ro66sA

Lorne

38 DHC Mark Braunstein
Vicinity of Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Moss MOG"
1938 Morgan 4-4 "Uncle Georges Winter Carriage"
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1986 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)    & more
I have done it 4-5 times on Plus 8s of a similar vintage. It is not a fun job at all. Pretty much an all day job. As Lorne says having access is key. I remove the seats, remove the shift knob, remove the steering wheel, disconnect the parking brake and find someone smaller than I to undo the fasteners holding the transmission cover in place (way down in the foot wells.) Then you can sort of fignagle the transmission cover off trying not to scrape the dash. Once the cover is off, the job takes 5 minutes. Simply put the new bushings on (8 of them). You will likely see very quickly where they go. Then you have to put it all back together. Easier done with a 2 post lift. When you have the cover off, consider sound/heat deadening material, etc. Questions, please ask.

Best of luck,
Mark

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13826 by 38 DHC Then you can sort of fignagle the transmission cover off trying not to scrape the dash. Once the cover is off, the job takes 5 minutes. Simply put the new bushings on (8 of them). You will likely see very quickly where they go. Then you have to put it all back together. Easier done with a 2 post lift. When you have the cover off, consider sound/heat deadening material, etc. Questions, please ask.
Mark

Mark jogged my memory. There IS a semi-shortcut...assuming it is only the access to the remote you require. It reduces the job to a couple of hours and lowers the risk of collateral damage.

1. Leave the shroud covering the gearbox tunnel on but detach it from all its fittings.

2. Remove the fittings holding the tunnel to the floor and the firewall.

3. Removing the fittings holding the propshaft tunnel to floor and the wooden rear bulkhead.

4. Pry up the propshaft tunnel front enough to allow the gearbox tunnel rear flange to clear. (yes the propshaft front flange fits OVER the gearbox tunnel rear flange).

5. Remove the gearbox lever knob and, if necessary, the safety brake knob (be careful as its spring will come loose!)

6. Now pry up the rear end of gearbox tunnel canting it upwards.

That should allow you sufficient access to the guilty bushes. Change them and reverse the procedure. It is helpful to swear at the Auto Gods from start to finish.

Lorne

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morgan Plus 8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links