Colors
GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary R
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"    & more
I'm in the final stages of deciding what color/colors to paint my '63 DHC. I've been through a few iterations and must always consult with my wife, friends, etc. My wife has finally come to a decision and she thinks dark blue over light blue is the way to go. That's the easy part, the shading, hue and color value is the tricky part.

Lorne, I saw on your avatar your +8 and it looks to be what I'm looking for, so, would you happen to know specifically what paint was used? I think you do, because I remember you writing about a restoration and that brilliant under bonnet look you achieved.

I want to do a relatively dark blue on the wings and a version of a French blue on the body. If anybody has pictures of something close to that, I'd love to see them.

The posted colors are just a ballpark and not finalized.
Thanks in advance,
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
blue 2.jpg    22.3 KB
blue 2.jpg

tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... Take a look at Pozzi blue, a Ferrari color. A deep clean shade. I think it would look great with the lighter sample.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
In reply to # 13726 by tjw Greetings... Take a look at Pozzi blue, a Ferrari color. A deep clean shade. I think it would look great with the lighter sample.

Tim(D.Y.M.)

Hi Gary,

Tim is being eerily brilliant again. (He can't help it!) Both the colors we used on our remaining car are Ferrari colors, one of them exclusively so.

You should know that car paint fascinates me. There is so much one can do with them aside from color! There are metallic paints and pearl paints. And there are paints based on different chemical compositions (where allowed by local laws) and lastly there are different top coats (the shiny stuff) of varying brilliance and even new ones that self-heal, eliminating scratches by themselves. They all have advantages and disadvantages..to be aware of.

Forgive me if you already know these things but I had to learn them. That has been fun. A way to wile away the Quebec winters.

My two tone Morgans is/was made up of a light blue pearly metallic paint, (the metallic effect depends on how much metal bits you add to the paint..so it can be adjusted to precisely your taste.) along with a darker blue paint. Pearl paints are achieved in many way for many reasons. Essentially, multi-sided crystals are added to your paint so, under a different light or angle of light it changes color as you are viewing a different side of the crystal! In the case of this color, we made sure that the second crystal color does matches the other color in the two tone. Ergo, as you move around the car, or the light changes, the car goes from a two tone to a mono-tone. These pearl effects can be VERY wild..with the paint changing to ALL the colors under the rainbow (costs a small fortune). But I am not into wild things..so the effect on our car is very subtle. Non-automobile paint people only rarely figure it out, but they all just like it instinctively.

I kept the colors discrete for many years, only giving them to one friend from Jersey (Channel Islands) for his new car in 2000. However, when our first car was destroyed in 2002, it was totally rebuilt by the Factory with the same VIN that year as a priority project, albeit with many bespoke changes gleaned from suggestions from everywhere. I gave them the paint numbers. The colors and effect attracted a LOT of attention and soon there were many matches in the UK. The factory even used them for their first Roadster brochure! And one of their early Aeros and.... The list is endless.

Some will rightly tell you that such car paints were rare 50 years ago and lend a modern look. (shrug) And they are far more expensive. But if we all wanted to avoid attention, we would not be driving Morgans. I just wanted you to know.

All that being said, I have to tell you I grew to love the other paint we used on our UK car. A chore to keep clean but SUPER classy. It was a Bentley Sapphire Blue...an almost black blue with a silver pearl which would flash and grin as you walked around the car. It was a great match for the leather and weather gear.

Forgive me, I love talking about car paints and Morgan (at an extra huge price) offers them all. Here is our UK car, (last image). It is very much missed.

The Phoenix Color Codes (from memory)

Azurro California ICI 524 = light? (very rare)

Azurro Caribe ICI 422A = Dark?
FIAT 1999 ELBA or MILLE 422A AZZURRO CARIBE II Y

These colors can be done in any paint type and the codes can be matched to those of any supplier. Knowing what I do of the pros and cons of many paints, the smartest solution would be a urethane paint (if it is allowed where you are or can be quietly done if not. With it, it is unnecessary to bring your car back-to-metal (a long job with an older Morgan requiring a LOT of stuff to make smooth..metal being just that) and it is very durable. Others may have other opinions..but auto-painting costs me nothing and I am constantly respraying something...as many times as other people change their engine oil.

Lorne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-10 10:21 AM by GoMoG.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
brochure-car2.jpg    101.8 KB
brochure-car2.jpg

12307384-770-0 anothercolorclone.jpg    27.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
BlueCararama.jpg    21.7 KB
StChinian.jpg    72 KB
GBGary Avatar
GBGary Gold Member Gary R
Burbank, CA, USA   USA
1963 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1969 Alfa Romeo Spider
1972 MG MGB "Frankenstein"
1972 Rover 3500 "Bertie"    & more
Tim,

You have basically read my mind, that seems to be the color I had in my head. Off Topic: The cross frame installation turned out really good and coupled with Lorne's strong advice to use the factory tire pressures has truly transformed the ride and handling of the car.

Lorne,

As usual, you've gone above and beyond with your response and I couldn't agree more with your fascination for paint and paint colors. I have made a career of trying to buy cars that "don't need paint", just because of the problems I'm having. So many choices, so many variations and possibilities. My plan is to stay with a non metallic finish and if it ends up a two stage paint, the clear coat will be of medium gloss. Although the metal work and paint will be to a high standard, the rest of the car will be of high driver quality, so I don't want the paint to outshine (pun intended) the rest of the car. I'll be looking into to your suggestions and I'll probably be using the colors without metallic or pearl additions.

This week-end I'll finish the wood repair (rocker) and the shop can get on with it's work. I'll need to finalize color in the next two weeks to keep the project moving along. You can see some of the wood work we've completed in the +4 forum titled "wood replacement".

Thanks, as always for thoughtful and timely responses.

Gary

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13729 by GBGary Lorne,

As usual, you've gone above and beyond with your response and I couldn't agree more with your fascination for paint and paint colors.
Thanks, as always for thoughtful and timely responses.

Gary

I just had to get it off of my chest! hot smiley

Lorne

tjw tim w
NorCal, USA   USA
Greetings... Gary, I'm glad the crosshead worked out for you, The crosshead on my 66 looks scary with welds and patches after the car took a hit to the

right front. Its been that way for the 17 years I've had it and the work wasn't new then.

Uncle Lornie, Me? Brilliant? I've told you that many times. You just picking up on that now? I've seen your North America car and loved the colors. Does it still have the Phoenix emblem on the steering wheel hub? The sapphire car is beyond stunning. Here's a link to a few Ferrari Colors. If Dennis Glavis still has his SS DHC, it is Pozzi blue.

http://www.330gt.com/encyclopedia/paintcolors.htm

Tim(D.Y.M.)

GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
In reply to # 13732 by tjw Uncle Lornie, Me? Brilliant? I've told you that many times. You just picking up on that now?

Forgive me Tim. I only received your payment recently.

Quote: I've seen your North America car and loved the colors. Does it still have the Phoenix emblem on the steering wheel hub? The sapphire car is beyond stunning.

[BLUSH!] THE SETTING Yes, it still has the Phoenix emblem on the hub. And the eMog badge (#0) on the bumper. (PM was given #1) It makes me happy every time I see it!

For those here who don't know its story, the car was destroyed in a 2002 accident which melted most of it. One has not been able to import new Morgans into Canada since the mid-1990s. Pressure was brought to bear and the Factory in Malvern agreed to "repair the car" which consisted of sending them the VIN plate, which they then jacked up and slid a very special Morgan under it. They then fitted on my Quebec license plates and sent it back. They authorities were very kind, and this scheme was hatched by them..in conjunction with my insurers. I merely had to pay for it out of my on pocket in advance! The ijsurers were concerned that it could never succeed. (They didn't know the determination of us Morgan owners!!!

On arrival, they sent over Bill Beck, Morgans Development Director (formerly their Service Manager) to help install what they couldn't do in Malvern. Early on in the project, we all realized that we had no restrictions. The car was more than 15 years old by that time, then the Canadian "classic" limit, so it was no longer subject to emissions or safety regs. Though the build was kept discrete (I didn't know whether the idea would succeed or be imported), the dealers called on to help with new/old parts, the Factory and many kind cognoscenti, became intrigued. We all went back and forth choosing favorite parts from the long history of Plus 8s and added choice parts they had then planned to use in the years to come. Essentially, it became an idealized Morgan. The Factory folk (they all signed the floor under the carpets) dubbed it the Phoenix (after the bird, not the city winking smiley.

When it was completed...of course there were teething problems. However, I got the thing into Canada with no trouble. Customs, Health and Transport, were INCREDIBLY kind. Morgans do that to them.

THE PUNCHLINE I first showed it at an American mog in West Virginia. At the end of the banquet, I was shocked to be presented with a steering wheel hub plaque upon which a sold gold (24 carat) Phoenix has been affixed. It had been paid for by a group of mates from all over the world. For many weeks, I considered what I would do with it. It is large and only the gold value is scary. I finally decided that NO ONE would ever believe it could be real gold. So I put in on the car and it has not moved for 16 years. Keeps me smiling.

Quote: Here's a link to a few Ferrari Colors. If Dennis Glavis still has his SS DHC, it is Pozzi blue.

http://www.330gt.com/encyclopedia/paintcolors.htm

Tim(D.Y.M.)

Thanks Tim (you brilliant guy you!). I am off to go examine them! You know I am a car color nut. It is evil of you to dangle car colors (or polished metal) in front of me. cool smiley

Lorne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-12 08:51 AM by GoMoG.

Attachments:
The Phoenix Emblem.jpg    59 KB
The Phoenix Emblem.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links