AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Saw this bit of news come across my desk, a few months old but posting for posterity:

A much loved British sports car is finally returning to the US. Morgan Motor Company, in response to U.S. Morgan dealers unfulfilled demand for 4 wheeled Morgans and also the disappointing lack of progress in implementing the Replica Car Bill, is now addressing the issue proactively. Last month Morgan Motor Company announced that they are prepared to manufacture a functional rolling chassis in both Roadster and Plus 4 variants, that can then be shipped to the US, using the specially constructed vehicle route to market.

Morgan plans an initial build of 40 Roadsters and 40 Plus 4’s during the remainder of 2018.

The Morgan Motor Company has just opened the order books for USA bound roadsters. Immediately available models include the Morgan Plus 4 (base price MSRP $69,995) and the Roadster 3.7 (base price MSRP $79,995.) Freight, options, taxes, and fees are additional.

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts.

Attachments:
morgan 4 wheeler.jpg    22.7 KB
morgan 4 wheeler.jpg

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
Seems like this is already happening, judging by the posts on other forums by Morgan dealers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
In reply to # 13709 by DuncanCharlton Seems like this is already happening, judging by the posts on other forums by Morgan dealers.

If you examine the dealer posts more carefully, and consider their specification, you will realize that they are racecars (always allowed under NHTSA), that are apparently discretely intended to be used on roads. Of course, there are so many states that will allow the registration of virtually anything. The engines are also coming from the UK. The apparent intention is to ship entire cars with the dealers to pop in the UK engines. That means they will swell the already huge grey market population in the USA. There are current reports that there have been UK-sourced engine crates, addressed to the USA since September. Image from the Factory below. From a fading memory, the new US Law stipulates that the relevant engines are supposed to be CARB/EPA certified and labelled crate engines, presumably from the USA...and not "re-mapped engines" as these are advertised to be.

Everyone in the USA is blaming the NHTSA and CARB for the 3+ year delay on the New law. (do a google) But that is unfair. The NHTSA has a huge load and backlog of far more important things to do. And it is absurdly understaffed. (I was told by a lawyer working in the field some years ago, that they have only two compliancy inspectors to "police" the entire country.) Also, even under the hoped for Law, the new Morgans must be referred to as "replicas". So anything imported will be a "de facto" road car..just not compliant. Will this be an insurance problem if the documentation is examined after a claim? Remember, none of these cars need have any of the current safety features.

The US dealers here must please forgive me. I understand what they have gone through and I hope something turns out great for them. But my priority orientation is not to them, nor the new Factory. My first loyalty has always been to my fellow Morgan owners and the marque. Admittedly, this does not always garner me much affection. eye rolling smiley

There is another fascinating question. These Morgans have no great difficulty in finding engines. After all, Morgan is now using current Fords (which makes Roadster part sourcing a huge hassle on the other side of the pond). What are the Porsche and Jaguar and DeLauren replica cars going to sport? Fords or GMs compliant crate engines as well?

Lorne

Attachments:
crate.jpg    29.7 KB
crate.jpg

LeMans62 Avatar
LeMans62 Dennis Glavis
Valencia, CA, USA   USA
I have 16 onorder thus far, 11 V6, 5 Plus 4’s
5 are completed with4 more on the water arriving late this month and my two wildly spec’ed, a MorganWest tradition, demonstrators about to ship to us.
Bring the orders forth as this program will not last that much longer and with the dollar so strong it is a blessing if you have ever dreamed of a new Malvern/MorganWest Flyer!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GoMoG Avatar
GoMoG Lorne G
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador   ECU
In reply to # 13743 by LeMans62 I have 16 onorder thus far, 11 V6, 5 Plus 4’s
5 are completed with4 more on the water arriving late this month and my two wildly spec’ed, a MorganWest tradition, demonstrators about to ship to us.
Bring the orders forth as this program will not last that much longer and with the dollar so strong it is a blessing if you have ever dreamed of a new Malvern/MorganWest Flyer!!

Hi Dennis!

Good to "see" you! And I trust this finds you well. I am very happy that your enthusiasm hasn't waned. All sorts of rumors flying in Malvern and I am confused myself. Can you help? If it is too delicate, just don't answer this.

Stock Cars

Morgan seems to be moving towards a radically new chassis for the Trads...Aeroesque. An image of two such chassis has been released..one a RHD and another a LHD. I am sure you have seen them. They look designed to carry a trad body. European dealers have also announced the end of the 4/4. There are many questions..such as whether, assuming a Brexit deal does not succeed, the new chassis cars will fall under the EU's low volume rules if the UK is not part of the EU.

Additionally, there is a nutty media rumor that Morgan plans to buy the 5 million pound Aston Martin chassis. eye rolling smiley Though IIRC, the Factory denied that one..nonetheless it continues.

US Market

Other marque sites suggest that the details of the replica program have yet to be completed by the US bureaucracy. But these sites have mostly second hand info.

I recall your efforts to sell new "1965" Morgans! This is different... The new Law will open the door for "replicas" of older cars to be imported that will not be subject to NHTSA safety rules, with the proviso that CARB compliant and properly stickered and documented crate engines from the USA are installed.

1. Would these rules allow for a radically different chassis, running gear, etc though clad in a 1960esque Morgan body as in the new chassis prototypes being built. ?

2. Yes, smiling smiley the specification you gave for your "wildly spec'd" demos are is confusing to me. It is essentially a race car, and racecars are already exempted from US compliance. . It also indicates that it has engine altered from stock in the UK (?) which makes me wonder about the CARB requirement in the new Law. However, it should be noted that the NHTSA enforcement and staff are not huge..so their policing is not a big worry.

3. I have been told (only one source tho usually reliable) that the factory has many Plus 4s and Roadster trads off-site. If so, there must be many LHDs among them if they followed the regular proportion of RHD/LHD. It would be great if they could be sold!! If their engines are swapped out....

Lorne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-14 03:41 AM by GoMoG.

LeMans62 Avatar
LeMans62 Dennis Glavis
Valencia, CA, USA   USA
Good Morning Lorne!

Can you give me you current direct email for discussion...

Gracias,

Dennis

LeMans62 Avatar
LeMans62 Dennis Glavis
Valencia, CA, USA   USA
Now up to 21 orders. 6 cars completed, delivered or about to deliver.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

2011 Morgan Plus 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links