The Pub

New member looking to purchase

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

av8djc Avatar
av8djc Dave Clark
Payson, AZ, USA   USA
Hello all. I need to find a new toy. Have owned many British cars in the past. Wife drives a1985 XJ6 concourse condition. Has a few trophies.I'm well known in the TD-TF community for rear end conversions to 4.3 gears. Anyway I've been looking at Healy, (good friend has one) and umm sh MGA's.( Don't really want a belly button) though they are inexpensive. My budget is $40k and don't want a project. Plan to purchase mid September when I get
Back home in AZ. So should I get a Morgan?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
38 DHC Mark Braunstein
Vicinity of Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1934 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Moss MOG"
1938 Morgan 4-4 "Uncle Georges Winter Carriage"
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1986 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)    & more
Heard of lots of MG, AH and TR folks going to Morgan, but don't think I have heard of the anyone going the other way? Morgans are a different sort of car. They can be aggravating, exhilarating, frustrating but will always bring a smile to your face, and to those with you!

Cheers,
Mark

Jondik Jonathan Kinghorn
Lexington, MA, USA   USA
1960 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "Pickersleigh"
Can you find a way to beg, steal, borrow, or rent a Morgan to see if it is your cup of tea? It easy to seduced by the car's looks, but you need to experience the ride, the noise, the climbing in and out and to think about maintenance etc. Maybe connect with the Morgan group in your region to find local owners to talk with. Be careful though--Morgans tend to be contagious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-12 10:14 AM by Jondik.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
38 DHC Mark Braunstein
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
Good recommendations. Try a Morgan for fit and on the road, and talk to those infected. Also ensure you like the folks you are talking to. The Morgan is not just a car, it is a bit of a lifestyle and comes with a community of folks to play with.
Cheers,
Mark

mogdriver Avatar
mogdriver David Crandall
PORTLAND, OR, USA   USA
As with any car that's new to you, and especially with Morgans that offer a variety of models each with their own idiosyncratic aspects, finding the one that floats your individual boat is crucial. Some of us need/needed more than one to capture the full range of our desires! That said, if you think a nifty vintage Series V RHD 4/4 might fill the bill, I've got just the one. See https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2011/05/4-4-Forever---Morgan/3698941.html for a glimpse at my Mango Miracle. I've reluctantly concluded that at my age with no sons interested in cars that two Morgans is one too many. Particulars available, asking price right in your wheelhouse. Plus, I have Morgan friends in Scottsdale who I visit in the winter and it would be great to be able to visit my first Morgan!

David P. Crandall [MSCC #4128, MOGNW, Morgan Plus 4 Club,
3/4 Morgan Group interclub/international liaison]
23 NE Morgan Street
Portland Oregon 97211 USA
Your exclusive source worldwide for
The Morgan Bedside Reader
www.morganstuff.com
email mogdriver@gmail.com
1971 Plus 8 [Green Meanie] 1966 Morgan 4/4 [Mango Miracle]

Button Avatar
Button Silver Member Bill B
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I have driven:

1963 Series IV 4/4
1963 +4-4Str
1961 DHC with Fiat engine and automatic now with Zetec engine and 5 spd
1973 +8 Bitsa
2005 Roadster
1965 +8+ (Corvette engine +8 )
2000 +8

All are a different riding and driving experience. I am 165 lbs 5'71/2" tall. So I fit everything. However; many are bigger and taller than I am and a Morgan must be acquired that one is comfortable in. I would go to the closest Dealer and explain Your situation and ask if You can drive different ones that He/She can let You drive. Also buy the best one You can afford. It is impossible to play catch up. Many of us, including Me, have tried. Remember most Dealers have Morgans that they own and also ones on consignment. They are negotiating between a buyer and a seller often times. So negotiate don't pay too much attention to the asking price. But first You need to know which Morgan You are looking for. For Me the most fun was My Series IV 4/4 with Ford 1349cc engine. I like My '63 +4-4Str for long tours, it is comfortable and room for luggage. I like My '73 +8 because it is powerful and I assembled it myself. The 2000 +8 is owned by a friend. She and I put about 2,000 miles on it playing in the Sierra Nevadas on the "Flog Mog" run. I drove the +8+ for 4 days in Northern California - real power - scary power if not careful. 2005 Roadster with V6 engine. Well balanced fun. Expensive.

Button

av8djc Avatar
av8djc Dave Clark
Payson, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks Bill, good advice. Many models gets a bit tricky to wade through for sure. I'm 5'8" and fairly trim so I fit well enough.
Dave

38 DHC Mark Braunstein
1951 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
Dave, Bill's advice is very good and although I haven't seen Dave Crandall's car, it will be stellar. His always are. Sorting through the myriad of Morgan models is a challenge since they have been in business a long time. The later model year cars are more sophisticated (not always a good thing.) Fuel injected cars are more efficient and generally more powerful than the carbureted cars, but again they are less easy to work on.

Figuring out what you want to do is a bit of a challenge as the car models are better suited to certain things. The 4/4s and Plus 4s are great cars to have and use locally. They are lighter and easier to throw about. IMO more fun to drive. I have a 4/4 and Plus 4 as local drivers. The Plus 8 (more torque) and Roadsters (more horsepower and bigger dimensionally) (I, unfortunately, am a bit too big for these things.) are better highway cars, e.g. 5 Speed transmission, I have one of each as long distance drivers. Parts, for me, have never really been an issue.

If you can't find a club locally, go to an reasonably well attended event in CA and try on a few.

Also, the attached file may help in your search.

Cheers,
Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-13 11:06 AM by 38 DHC.

Attachments:
Morgan Timeline v65.pdf    250.4 KB

Button Avatar
Button Silver Member Bill B
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I have seen and been acquainted with Dave Crandall's 4/4. It a nice Morgan and very well sorted. I think worth an airplane ticket to Portland, Oregon.

Button

DuncanCharlton Avatar
DuncanCharlton Duncan Charlton
Elgin, TX, USA   USA
1967 Morgan 4/4 "Toly's Car"
1967 Unknown Unknown
1971 Morgan Plus 8 (+8)
One wag described Morgans thus: "kinda like an MGTD, but with power and brakes."

I've had a 1963 4/4 with a 4.56:1 final drive and a later 1600 Ford Crossflow engine installed. The engine spun at 4600 rpm or so at 70 mph but with an alloy body it was very light at 1330 lbs, so it was easy to drive but pretty buzzy on the highway. The Plus 4 we had with a 3.7 axle was heavier, so it didn't feel as lithe as the 4/4 but had more torque (and more weight). It was not much quicker but was more relaxed on longer runs. The 1971 Plus 8 we have now has a 4-speed and a 3.58:1 final drive and is a fairly relaxed cruiser that will pull from idle in top gear (it weighs under 2000 lbs and power of the modified 4.0 liter V8 is probably close to 200 hp) but can be a lot of fun to toss around on the track. The Moss gearbox in the Plus 4s and early Plus 8s is a little notchy and balky and the clutch on the Plus 8 seems heavy to people accustomed to a stock Plus 4 so it's not really as far into the easy to drive range of Morgans as the 4/4 or even the Plus 4. I can't comment too much on the V6 Roadster I recently drove briefly (Mark B's car) but it was smoother and easier to drive than our ancient Plus 8. The Aero 8 I briefly drove was a different vehicle entirely. Modern suspension, gearbox, brakes, etc. Goose the throttle in any gear and the car just lunges toward the horizon.

Most newcomers to Morgans go for the 2-seat roadsters while a substantial number of multiple Morgan owners want a 4-seater because they can stow so much more stuff in the rear seating area and keep it under the tonneau or convertible top. I've driven a couple of drop head coupes and spent an hour or two driving Bob Nogueira's DHC at 70 mph and found it pretty relaxed and comfortable in those conditions.

Duncan

marshgrassA Avatar
marshgrassA Irene B
SC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Little Car SOLD"
1966 Morgan Plus 4 (+4)
1967 Triumph TR4A "Little Bad Boy"
Dave,
I too am looking am looking for a Morgan and pretty sure the Plus 4 will fit my needs, as I will use it similar to how Mark uses his. I am fortunate to have club friends who let me "try on" their cars over the years which helped immensely in narrowing down the model. They seem to be very different than the MGT series cars and addictive.

Good luck with your hunt and hopefully we both will be posting pictures of our "new" Morgans soon!

Cheers,
Irene

Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 13081 by 38 DHC ...........Morgans are a different sort of car. They can be aggravating, exhilarating, frustrating but will always bring a smile to your face, and to those with you!

Cheers,
Mark
Not to mention demanding, seeking attention, but they never ask for a divorce smiling smiley

Jondik Jonathan Kinghorn
Lexington, MA, USA   USA
1960 Morgan Plus 4 (+4) "Pickersleigh"
I read somewhere the other day that some wag described the Plus 4 as being like an MG TC but with power and brakes. smiling smiley

Broadcaster Avatar
Broadcaster Silver Member Bob RA
Glendale, CA, USA   USA
I was talking to a moranut the other day about this topic and he said

"I think it is fair to say you never chose a Morgan.....The Morgan chooses you"

I thought about that a bit............It certainly was true in my case

I had been looking for a Morgan after I got rid of my basket case given to me by my brother

I saw many over a long long long period

Then I saw one on the East Coast (I am in the West Coast) As soon as I saw the picture it was calling me. I had the car examined by expert with total pictures, and details, negotiated the price and next thing it was here with me

Never looked at it closely, never test drove it but it is a lovely work of Art.....That is my view

galja2 james g
marseiles, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
I drove a morgan +4 doc, as a daily driver for 5 years.....many years ago.
Currently lots of fun to drive but pretty tiring

I currently have a +4 roadster , 1963,v8 mgb,xk150 etc etc.
Of course best to drive one.Lots of fun ,maintenance very Very basic,most parts available,reasonably comfortable seating if you are not tall.Pretty reasonable resale .
I would by the best one you can and for budget that should be correct.
I would make sure you have electronic ignition,high torque starter ,and life will be easier.
I hope that helps.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Morgan 4 4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links